1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy strategies

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by rache11a, Jun 28, 2016.

1. rache11a

rache11a New commenter

Hi there

I'd like to implement a new literacy strategy in school but I'm fairly new to the role. I'd like to focus on supporting ks3 students (I teach in a high school). Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Make strategies to support reading, writing and spelling availableto staff. Ensure that lesson planning has a literacy focus. Have Heads of Faculty complete a 'quality mark ' for spelling and punctuation and grammar for example when they do their book scrutiny every third week or thereabouts.Have all Faculties have a literacy policy in their Handbooks ( which is then put into practice ).I have some PPTs I can send if you conversation me a contact e mail add. Consider conscribing folk onto a Literacy Focus Group to disseminate good practice / establish a 'lead ' department. Back up your iniatives with quality environmental print around the campus / in classrooms. Consider having a week where all subjects priortise literacy in their starter activities. Important that whatever you do you can comment / evidence the impact on what it was you expected to see as a result of your / the staff's endeavours.

Dodros likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

[QUOTE="minnie me, post: I have some PPTs I can send if you conversation me a contact e mail add. [/QUOTE]

Hi this is reaaly good. Can I send you a conversation for these ppts?

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Of course !

5. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I posted recently here on TES about literacy across the curriculum in secondary education and I'll repost here the gist of what I wrote then:

It would be unwise to conclude that whatever works for English literacy-wise will necessarily work too in every other core and foundation subject in the National Curriculum.

Consider doing a literature search of what subjects other than English have done for literacy development. Relevant documents can be found here:
    1. Go to: http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/home/inclusion
    2. Locate "Basic skills" under the heading "Boosting knowledge and skills".
    3. Follow a subject link of your choice.

You will find literacy development advice and resources there for each National Curriculum subject. This will enable you to determine what is already being done in the name of literacy in Art & Design, Design & Technology, Geography, History, ICT, Mathematics, MFL, Music, PE, RE and Science as well as English.

Consider asking heads of other subject departments what they are doing to promote literacy within their area of the curriculum. Pool their expertise in the literacy field rather than impose any English-derived vision of literacy development on them. If they feel clueless about literacy development within their subject, point them in the direction of their subject-specific link on the specialeducationalneeds.com website so that they can access literacy documents and resources relevant to their subject. This will inform and empower them to marry the need for literacy development to priorities within their academic discipline.

GHMD likes this.