1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

literacy starter games for KS1. Anyone know any?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blancmange, Aug 11, 2009.

1. There are loads of fun interactive literacy things on the internet for KS2 but i'm struggling to find things to use as 'mental-oral starter' type activities in my KS1 lessons. I teach Y1 and 2. Does anyone know any good sites to use or even games that don't involve the internet at all? My mind is blank. Help.

2. I'm in KS2 at the moment but when I worked in Y1 I used ideas from the Sounds and Letters books. Use some photos of items and see if they can find a connection - initial sounds, middle sounds, final sounds, anything really. I sometimes used pictures of the story we were doing and see if they could retell it, find the odd one out. You can extend this by sticking in an odd one out and see if they can find it. Play Simon Says - you can have them writing a letter in the air, saying a sound, pretending to be things (cars, planes, butterflys). Remember to tell them to stand still if you don't want them moving around the room! Hope these help.

3. Rhyming games. Give them a word and they have to come up with as many rhyming words as possible - sensible and silly. Once they have the hang of this you could give them an unfinished rhyming couplet and they have to finish it.
    Hand out pairs of rhyming cards to children. They have to move round the room and find their rhyming partner. Could equally work with a picture of something instead of the word.
    How about showing them a sentence with a missing word and they have to suggest what the word could be. Again could be silly or sensible. For good readers you could hand cards out with words on and they have to shout out when their word would fit in the sentence, or they could again have the picture card and perhaps they help you spell it.
    A mixed up message or word on the board and they have to unscramble it eg. gpi (pig) and so on, could get ahrder as they get better and include a couple of words with a finger space.

4. Write some high frequency words or letters on board and invite two
    children to stand either side- you say word/letter and first to point
    to it wins- other child sits down and you invite another challenger.
    Draw a 3 by 3 grid and fill with letters- how many words can you make? Group answers together according to onset and rime etc.
    Shannon's game- like hangman but have to get letters in correct order (at least I think it's called Shannon's game)
    Memory games- e.g. Kim's game, I went to the shop etc.
    Put
    some pictures/objects out either describe it and children guess- then
    describe one themselves or they ask you questions to which you can only
    answer yes/no.
    Mimes are good fun- especially for teaching verbs.
    Scavenger hunts- find as many things beginning with a letter or hide high frequency cards around room/area e.g. how many 'look' flashcards can you find?
    Write up incorrect sentences (e.g. wrong punctuation/spelling/grammar) and correct using whiteboards.
    Use punctuation/letter fans or yes/no true/false flashcards.

5. A game of word ping pong! Children sit facing a partner. Teacher says a word and children take it in turns to tell partner words related to teacher's word. Eg, teacher says ocean, children could say divers, sea, water, seaweed... GIve a time limit. Best if word can link to current topic / Literacy area. Very good for vocab.

6. theres lots of interactive literacy games on www.ictgames.co.uk and www.kented.org.uk/ngfl/games that my children love to play!