1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LITERACY SKILLS TEST- Any1 have a spelling or vocab list?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by pottyparrot, Apr 13, 2011.

1. please share

2. Do what it takes to pass the test and ignore anyone who says it is easy. When you do the job for real make sure there is a dictionary on your desk.

3. Past the QTS Maths test thank god. Please share the vocab list for the QTS literacy. I failed today for the 2nd time having took advice on learning as many words ending in lly or ly. I can only remember 4 of the words off the test. They were: Legendary, statistician, entrepreneurial and nauseous. Just cant relate to this test at all. I don't normally have a problem with my spelling but then I don't use words like entrepreneurial in my every day language. My best advice having fallen at this hurdle for the 2nd time is forget the pattens and just revise words you think they would put in the test to make sure you don't pass which in my case may be a very very long list. Was very surprised to find you don't need to do this test in Wales to gain QTS yet you are fully qualified to teach in England once you've completed your PGCE in Wales.

4. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

And remember to use every single piece of writing you do to practise your skills. There are mistakes in this post, for example, that aren't highlighted by the spell checker. Misusing "Past" has the potential to drop a mark just as much as an incorrectly spelled word.

5. You need more practice - you should practise more! :) Spelling is only one part of the test, though does account for about 1/3 of the marks. Trying to remember words is hopeless, apart from the tricky ones. You need to "feel" the language, and the way to do that is to constantly be practising.

There's no denying the English language is difficult, but it's what we have. Literacy, like numeracy, is all about patterns. But you can't learn the patterns from specific examples, only from exposure to the subject. Good luck!

6. "Was very surprised to find you don't need to do this test in Wales to gain QTS yet you are fully qualified to teach in England once you've completed your PGCE in Wales."

Not strictly true. Providers still require you to pass a literacy and numeracy test as part of your course, and my provider (Cardiff Met) has you do them on the interview day, so if you don't pass the tests you aren't considered for the course anyway. The tests are modelled very closely on the tests that are used in England. They may not be statutory, but providers still expect, and test, a high degree of literacy and numeracy whether they're required to or not.

7. Any chance you could share your list? I passed numeracy first time, but have problems with spelling

8. Any chance you could share?

9. ljackson6

ljackson6 New commenter

For you maybe

10. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

there are lots of practice tests online