1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Shakespeare scheme

Discussion in 'English' started by tashielewis, Oct 22, 2018.

1. tashielewis

tashielewis New commenter

Hi all,
    I am developing a SoW for The Tempest in which literacy is to be embedded throughout. Feeling a little confused as teachers are already teaching this alongside but now needs to be explicitly taught. Any suggestions as to where to start?

Many thanks.

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

3. tashielewis

tashielewis New commenter

I have never heard of this site before. I have created a profile but unsure how to navigate around. Have yet to find anything related to a literacy Shakespeare scheme but thanks for your input nonetheless.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Have you had a look around on the resource section of this site? There may just be something suitable.

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

There are many tutorials and help pages on the site. It is not tailored to Shakespeare, but to the students' interests. The idea is they complete a diagnostic and then access lessons to develop the skills they personally need to. I make time regularly for the students to work on their targets and track their progress through the site, whatever the main topic we are doing is.

It's not one-size-fits-all (which I don't subscribe to anyway). If you want something that will tangibly improve literacy, it is excellent. If you want something to tick a box (or satisfy an unreasonable manager), it's probably not going to be worth your time.

I thought your initial request was for materials that would explicitly and intentionally develop students' literacy as you explore The Tempest. If you want something to help with their understanding of Shakespeare's language, that's a totally different thing...but I'm not even sure that's what you mean...

"Feeling a little confused as teachers are already teaching this alongside but now needs to be explicitly taught."

Are you being unreasonably criticised for your current practices? How can they be teaching it not explicitly - you're not the only one who's confused my friend! :confused:o_O

6. lynne33

lynne33 New commenter

Have you registered for LitDrive? It is awesome!