1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy schemes of work for SEN

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by sp2106, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Can anyone give me the names of any schemes of work for Literacy that have been adapted for SEN? So far all I have found are the EQUALS schemes which look good but I'm looking for something to compare them to.
    Any ideas or information would be appreciated!
    (Also any for numeracy would be good too!)

2. Can anyone give me the names of any schemes of work for Literacy that have been adapted for SEN? So far all I have found are the EQUALS schemes which look good but I'm looking for something to compare them to.
    Any ideas or information would be appreciated!
    (Also any for numeracy would be good too!)

3. Are you talking mainstream or special school and what age group?

4. Special school and KS2 and KS3!

5. I've seen loads of worksheet type resources (commercially produced ones) but nothing along the EQUALS scheme of work type thing.
    Bsquared offer a subscription based service with age-neutral worksheets - the content is good and easily matched to the P scales, but they aren't schemes of work like EQUALS (which I find very boring).
    I use the Primary National Strategy for Literacy and Numeracy and just work from the objectives for the year group that seems most appropriate to my pupils, with differentiation on many levels (activity, outcome, support, language, etc). It works really well for me - I have a KS2 class which ranges from P4 - Level 2.

6. If by 'Literacy' you mean programmes of work that will measureably improve reading, writing and spelling skills you could try the free resources at www.schoolwork.bz I worked for a number of years in special schools teaching the age group you refer to and these would be wholly appropriate. Being online, they offer the additional advantage that they can be completed by pupils at home as homework assignments as well as in class. They have an additional advantage that they have an extensive, published research basis. To see the summary outcome of the research, go to www.carronpracticals.co.uk and follow the thread to 'Reading Recovery Resources' and then to the 'Millennium Literacy Research Project.

Hope this is helpful.