1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy resources - a baseline

Discussion in 'Primary' started by linzjwood, Mar 3, 2011.

1. I work in a new school and we are needing to budget for our literacy requiements for the next two years.
    Our working group now have to decide what resources we need and the question arose ' So what is a baseline ratio of books per student for to effectively cover our general needs in our first year for the effective delivery of a good literacy programme?'
    We need to cover our shared/guided reading and home reading requirements reasonably well. So we first worked on the basis that roughly we need to cover our reading circles which would be four sets of books per level per group per month - i.e. one set per week. Then we thought that each student should also be able to take home a different book every two days for home reading.
    Is our thinking along the right lines?
    Has anyone else ever been in the situation of resourcing a literacy programme from scratch?
    How did you decide what you needed?
    What is a reasonable baseline to start with?
    Any help would be gratefully recieved. Thanks.

2. I work in a new school and we are needing to budget for our literacy requiements for the next two years.
    Our working group now have to decide what resources we need and the question arose ' So what is a baseline ratio of books per student for to effectively cover our general needs in our first year for the effective delivery of a good literacy programme?'
    We need to cover our shared/guided reading and home reading requirements reasonably well. So we first worked on the basis that roughly we need to cover our reading circles which would be four sets of books per level per group per month - i.e. one set per week. Then we thought that each student should also be able to take home a different book every two days for home reading.
    Is our thinking along the right lines?
    Has anyone else ever been in the situation of resourcing a literacy programme from scratch?
    How did you decide what you needed?
    What is a reasonable baseline to start with?
    Any help would be gratefully recieved. Thanks.