1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy programmes - suggestions?

Discussion in 'English' started by Kensington84, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Kensington84

Kensington84 New commenter

Hi everyone.

I am researching purchasable literacy programmes. Something that contains lots of short activities (10-15 minutes in length) that could be integrated into KS4 lessons, separate from the main lesson content. Ideally, it would contain activities for a variety of ranges, and have answer sheets included.

I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations, or are aware of any such programmes that are available? Any input would be great so I could look into them.

Thanks.

2. One literacy area which stays problematic for many students, even at university and beyond, is spelling.
    I have written a booklet for those who want to help themselves, but have put all the information on the web for free as well
    on my website [/URL]

A simple short pairwork activity could be for one pupil to pick out some tricky words for the other to spell, then reversing roles. - They could each pick out some words to start with and then take turns at spelling and checking.
    The trickiest areas are variant spellings for
    long oo
    o-e
    ee
    consonant doubling
    and unstressed vowels (or schwa) e.g. separate.

3. Indeed. U get masses of advertisements for materials and courses, which in itself shows u what a huge problem English spelling is.
    If u google 'spelling problems', the most relevant site is the first to come up.

4. God you are dim. You get the same typing 'maths problems, 'diabetes problems', 'goat problems' ...
    your hits are to twaddle.

5. If google is the be the basis for reform then 'goat problems' and 'diabetes problems' means that there is a dire need for goat reform and diabetes reform.

But it is unlikely that goat and diabetic issues are tainted by a halfwit spammer.

6. Hi
    Take a look at http://www.readingtolearn.com.au/
    We've had encouraging results with slow learners with this strategy.
    Regards