1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by katyv, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Hi sorry to bring up planning just as holidays are starting but I am returning from maternity leave in sept to resume my lit leader post and just trying to get organise my thoughts before going back to school. Where do you take you literacy learning objectives from - still the primary strategy even if you don't follow the units? Writing is a priority for us so I want to help focus teaching when I return. I have mainly taught in year 6 so rarely used the units but much more focus on what the kids needed to fill gaps or move to next level - this seems the obvious model to follow elsewhere in the school but it's not happening consistently. Just want to be clear in my own mind so can give clear support in sept. Thanks

2. Hi sorry to bring up planning just as holidays are starting but I am returning from maternity leave in sept to resume my lit leader post and just trying to get organise my thoughts before going back to school. Where do you take you literacy learning objectives from - still the primary strategy even if you don't follow the units? Writing is a priority for us so I want to help focus teaching when I return. I have mainly taught in year 6 so rarely used the units but much more focus on what the kids needed to fill gaps or move to next level - this seems the obvious model to follow elsewhere in the school but it's not happening consistently. Just want to be clear in my own mind so can give clear support in sept. Thanks

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

The only statutory place at the moment is here:
    http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/curriculum/primary/
    English is on Page 2.
    But do look in the menu bar on the left on this first page - it has information about the revised curriculum - still in draft form, but you ought to be aware of it as Literacy Leader. As you've been busy looking after a little one (congratulations on that by the way! [​IMG]) you may not have seen the draft document.

4. Thanks Marlin. I have read the draft curriculum - much more prescriptive!- but people aren't using that for planning yet are they? I have the details from the current nc but that is quite broad and I fear my school may need a bit more concrete scaffolding to support planning and teaching to ensure coverage and progression.