1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy planning... PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by scott209, Sep 10, 2011.

1. scott209

scott209 New commenter

Ok, so i'm in my second year of teaching now and still not completely confident about planning literacy.

A few things that puzzle me, are sentence, word and text level objectives. I normally plan my literacy in the following way:

1) identify which unit I am going to teach.
    2) see what pupils are expected to already know
    3) look at the outcomes and select an assessment focus to set targets
    4) plan to the phases, using the teaching sequences as help, and also using my own creativity.

In addition to my normal literacy lessons, i then do guided reading each day after lunch. this includes five stations, which cover guided reading, guided writing, handwriting and spelling.

My confusion is on the strands and the word/sentence and text level objectives. Do i have to include these in my literacy lessons, or does my guided reading sessions cover this? for example, my spelling activities are in line with the support for spelling, and when we do guided writing, it's normally inline with the grammar for writing document.

If I am to plan my word/sentence and text level work in my main literacy sessions, does anyone have any good planning templates, as the school is flexible at allowing us to use our own templates. Please email scottroberts209@hotmail.com

Thanks for your help :)

2. scott209

scott209 New commenter

Ok, so i'm in my second year of teaching now and still not completely confident about planning literacy.

A few things that puzzle me, are sentence, word and text level objectives. I normally plan my literacy in the following way:

1) identify which unit I am going to teach.
    2) see what pupils are expected to already know
    3) look at the outcomes and select an assessment focus to set targets
    4) plan to the phases, using the teaching sequences as help, and also using my own creativity.

In addition to my normal literacy lessons, i then do guided reading each day after lunch. this includes five stations, which cover guided reading, guided writing, handwriting and spelling.

My confusion is on the strands and the word/sentence and text level objectives. Do i have to include these in my literacy lessons, or does my guided reading sessions cover this? for example, my spelling activities are in line with the support for spelling, and when we do guided writing, it's normally inline with the grammar for writing document.

If I am to plan my word/sentence and text level work in my main literacy sessions, does anyone have any good planning templates, as the school is flexible at allowing us to use our own templates. Please email scottroberts209@hotmail.com

Thanks for your help :)

3. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

Scott209, sounds to me like your planning is just fine and you are covering most basis. I would say that your sentence level objectives should come into your main teaching. So, when you have read and enjoyed a text, you could start to look at the sentence structures in the text and the impact they have - in Phase 1 of the teaching sequence. Then, when you get to the shared writing in phase 3, you would be modelling the sentence level objectives e.g. paragraphs or complex sentences that you expect the children to include in their independent writing. Word level is a bit different as it is unlikely that the text you are using has the particular word pattern you need, so i would teach this separately in the way it sounds like you are doing.
    You might like to have a look at some of the sample teaching sequences on www.emmarogers.org.uk to see how the sentence level objectives fit into a unit.
    Hope that helps!

4. scott209

scott209 New commenter

Thanks emma - I noticed you were involved in the ECaW project - my class was involved in this project and I also attended the national strategies conference in London.

My school are looking to create new literacy planning sheets, which cover sentence/text level objectives, etc. Do you have any good examples you could send me?

Thanks Emma! :)

5. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

Hi Scott, sorry I have only just seen your post. I don't know how to get this forum to notify me when someone replies. Hopefully you are cleverer that me and will see that I have finally replied after quite a few weeks. If you e-mail me via the website, or direct to enquiries@emmarogers.org.uk I'll see what I can send you. I certainly have several planning sheets which might help.
    It seems such a long time ago since we were sitting in that London Hotel room (that sounds dodgy - sorry didn't mean it to!). I hope ECaW has had an impact on your children and that you are still able to use some of the ideas.
    It is good to hear from you!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Put it onto your hotlist and when you log in it will show the number of replies since you last checked. If none you don't have to check but if there are you can go straight to them.