1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Planning help needed

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by StephanieB19, Dec 17, 2011.

1. To cut a long story short, I am planning a literacy unit on Adventure and Mystery stories for year threes and am using the Hamilton Trust plans, although with many amendments to suit the needs of my class. The book I am using as the focus for this unit is Julia Jarman's The Time Travelling Cat. However, the children have not read this book before and I won't get an opportunity to read this book to them before the very first literacy lesson. The book is 22 chapters long. My question therefore is how do I use this book with the children? Do I read the whole book, taking the children chapter by chapter and perhaps using time outside the formal literacy time to read the book or do I take extracts from the book? If so, how do I get the children to consider the book as a whole as surely to understand how to write and appreciate the constructionadventure stories they need to have heard one, if not more, in their entirety? Does anybody have any ideas? Please help!

2. I would use story time to read it to them, whilst taking extracts from the book in Literacy lessons. Failing that, you could read a chapter (or more, depending on time) to them during the lesson, along with whatever you read in story time, and then centre the work they do around the chapter. Or, choose another, shorter book.