1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Ofsted lessons

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jen g, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

We have ofsted in next week and I am looking for a bit of advice regarding my literacy. I would like to make posters with the children as we are coming away from the normal curriculum and having health and safety week. It has been planned for ages. Anyway posters are not part of theyear 2 curriculum should I still go ahead with it. My objective is to create text using adventurous words and deliver the first literacy lesson that they will see on alliteration then on the second lesson use their knowledge to apply it to the poster and design a healthy living poster. We are also in the middle of a castle theme so the children will be at knights oot camp all week so I want them to apply the poster to keeping knights healthy.
    What do you think? Any comments gratefully received[​IMG]

2. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

We have ofsted in next week and I am looking for a bit of advice regarding my literacy. I would like to make posters with the children as we are coming away from the normal curriculum and having health and safety week. It has been planned for ages. Anyway posters are not part of theyear 2 curriculum should I still go ahead with it. My objective is to create text using adventurous words and deliver the first literacy lesson that they will see on alliteration then on the second lesson use their knowledge to apply it to the poster and design a healthy living poster. We are also in the middle of a castle theme so the children will be at knights oot camp all week so I want them to apply the poster to keeping knights healthy.
    What do you think? Any comments gratefully received[​IMG]

3. Make sure you have a very clear learning objective to the lesson. Ofsted will be looking for every child to have made progress during the lesson they observe.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Does it have to be posters?

5. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

For the Tuesday lesson it will be WALT - use alliteration in sentences
    Wednesday - WALT - use alliteraction for a purpose
    OR should i write a short story with the children or carry on with the unit I am already working on- we are keen as a school to immerse the children in the healthy and safety week andi don't really want to carry it on next week. I was thinking of WALT use comma's in a list but couldn't put it into a final product on friday Argh!

6. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Nope doesn't have to be posters - happy to take any suggestions [​IMG]

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Not sure about the posters. How about a set of instructions about how to keep safe if you're a knight. Wear armour, carry a sword, watch out for enemies, look after your horse etc ??
    This wouldn't include the alliterative aspect. Is that necessary?

8. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Just had another thought- how about we talk about how knights were not particularly healthy and set up a time capsule of things we would put in a time capsule and send back in time eg- toothbrush hairbrush, toothpaste,shampoo, etc- then the objects we put in the capsule the children could put into alphaetical order and make definitions for- then I could link the objectives to the information text strand. What do you think- thanks for your input so far- It is good to put ideas out.

9. greta444

greta444 New commenter

This sounds like a good idea. I think you should actually make the capsule. Have a load of stuff ready that the kids might suggest.

10. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Yes i thought that to- have a big box of stuff including a toilet roll- my kids love anything to do with toilets!! I think we will build it on Tuesday and place the objects into alphaetical order- I will do some dictionary work on Monday before ofsted arrive- then on wednesday the children can write a shared letter to the knights and in groups of 3 create a little book with pictures and definitions of what we have put in the capsule to accompany it.- what do you think? Thank you by the way to take the time to help me on a saturday night[​IMG]

11. greta444

greta444 New commenter

tis ok. sad though aren't we? the letter is a good idea too. Depending on how many items you have to define, the book of definitions may have to be a shared class activity, 3 or 4 items per group? Depends on the ability of your kids I suppose. Just a minor class management thought. Good luck with ofsted. Look out for my posts in October when we get inspected!!

12. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Absolutely- anything I can do- I have been wrestling with that all day- knew it wasn't right but was blocked- feel loads better now and actually looking forward to it! Thanks again

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sounds lovely but a bit complicated and might go Horribly Wrong and you'll need to say that alphabetical order is one of your LOs. Is it really? Just think how sidetracked you might be. I'm posting this and coming back - I can't remember your OP.
    That's a drawback in the TES forums.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

These are objectives, plural, not one objective.
    Using knights is fine but you must decide whether the lesson focus is adventurous words or alliteration. Personally, if I were doing posters [always risky] I'd focus on alliteration, though I've never really understood why we have such a fetish about alliteration,

15. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

I hear what you are saying and I hope the children will be Ok they are used to my crazy lessons and are really enthusiastic in these sort of situations. I will use the LO's from the information text unit and focus on the layout of text including contents, alphabetical order and index pages. They will create the pages on Wednesday by using a premade sheet and selecting a picture and writing a definition underneath. The definitions will e availale on some posters which I have created, in dictionaries and on the moodle- so the children can research apporopriately. On Thursday when they have gone we will put the books together in groups and write the contents and index page in groups. On Friday they can create a front cover and the blurb.
    What do you think? Any feedback will be gratefully received

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

Wow! If you can do it, go ahead.

17. jen_g

Surely a poster is an information text? It might not be a leaflet or sentences of writing but it is certainly there to give you information. I don't think a poster is a disastrous idea - planned correctly I think it could work in your favour!

18. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

I know what you are saying- I am just not sure that the children would stretch out a poster. I worry that they would egin it and finish it so quickly especially some of the boys in my class but then again we only have a week then we are returning to our previous unit! Its a tricky one.