1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy observation could anyone let me know what they think about my ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hezzy_pie, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Hi everyone I've got a literacy observation looming in my Y2/3/4 class. It is due to be on the day when I start a new topic in literacy (traditional tales, myths, fables). We are doing the topic 'Rainforests' at the min so thought I would focus the lesson around 'The Great Kapok Tree' which is a fable set in the Amazon rainforest. I have copied my initial ideas for the lesson plan below - I haven't quite decided on the LO's yet though! The ch will be idenitifying features of different kinds of stories but their main focus will be exploring stories through role play.

Normal

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";}

Read ‘The Great Kapok Tree’ by Lynne Cherry. Talk about the
    setting and the different animals in the story. Enlarge pictures onto the
    whiteboard using camera/projector. What is the message/moral behind the story?

Explain to children that over the next few weeks we will be
    reading a few stories similar to this story and eventually writing our own.
    What would you call this type of story? (Fairytale etc.) Why?

Display Who Wants To Be A Millionaire question - is this story a traditional tale,
    fable, myth or fairytale? Ensure ch know definition for each type of narrative.
    Ch vote on the kind of story they think it is using whiteboards. Establish that
    it is a fable - can they think of any other fables they have read?

Show a large picture of the man from the story. Ch imagine
    that the man from ‘The Great Kapok Tree’ is coming to class 2. He is going to
    interview you (the animals) to ask you why he shouldn’t cut the tree down. Allocate an animal to each pair/three
    of children. Give each pair/three a picture of their animal and their
    photocopied page from the story book explaining their reasoning behind why the
    tree shouldn’t be chopped down. One pair/three will be given the role of the
    man in the story - they will have to give a short explanation about why they
    had come to chop down the Great Kapok Tree.

Provide the ch with the questions that he will/might ask e.g. Why is the tree special to you? My boss needs me to chop down this tree. What could I do insetad of chop down this tree?. In
    their pairs they think of reasons to answer each question. They must be good
    reasons, otherwise he might chop down your tree!

The children will have ten minutes to think of answers for
    their questions. Then set up chairs at the front of the class for the
    animals/man to sit. Other ch will ask each other questions.

Make a decision on whether or not the tree gets chopped down. Talk about the message behind the story (deforestation)

So they are my ideas. Do you think that would class as a 'good' lesson grading. Why/why not? Is there anything anyone can suggest that they wouldn't do or that they would add on?
    Thanks for taking the time to read this!