1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy observation at Forest School

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by charl7, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Our school literacy coordinator is coming to observe me at a Forest School session with my reception class. She is told me that she wants to see if children are given opportunities to meet their literacy targets and how I am promoting writing. Our current topic is Superheroes, I would really appreciate any ideas on how I can demonstrate this during a Forest School session.

2. Our school literacy coordinator is coming to observe me at a Forest School session with my reception class. She is told me that she wants to see if children are given opportunities to meet their literacy targets and how I am promoting writing. Our current topic is Superheroes, I would really appreciate any ideas on how I can demonstrate this during a Forest School session.

3. I get my children to write messages to mr Owl on leaf shaped pieces of green paper and they use twig pencils http://www.moochstore.co.uk/twig-pencils-is186.html?source=googleps
    Maybe you could adapt this for superheroes?
    clipboards
    mud painting on large white sheets
    Personally I would tell the Literacy co-ordinator to do one if she came to see if children are given opportunities to meet their literacy targets and how I am promoting writing.We do an intense RWInc session every day mon to thurs and Friday is our day to be creative at Forest School so I do NOT worry about their literacy targets at Forest School. Yesterday we acted out the Willow Pattern story whilst I pretended to be the lady in the story dressed in a kimono and they we found a golden box full of fortune cookies. They made up a spell to turn me back into a bird which actually worked (they really belived it did anyway) That is what Forest School is about.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm unclear about where forest school sessions take place. Are they off-site?

5. Forest School can happen on or off site,
    depending on your grounds. We run ours on
    site because we have a large clump of trees,
    but most go off site using a minibeast to a local
    woodland!

On our Forest School it is entirely child initiated,
    so the only literacy based targets ours meet is their
    speaking and listening, which comes through the
    promotion of team work! I don't think about targets
    whilst there, the children all develop and achieve
    their own skills!