1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Observation advice needed.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amyliv88, Jul 2, 2017.

1. amyliv88

amyliv88 New commenter

Hello, Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

Due to a not-very-nice last school my confidence has been seriously rocked, everything about my lessons was pulled apart last year, there were no positives. Or one lesson the positive praise was- I smiled at one point. But I digress.

I'm being observed tomorrow in literacy, I'm going to be teaching direct speech (again, as they still don't understand, I have the lower ability group for literacy). I've decided to go down the iPhone text messaging route. Has anyone done this? Briefly, what did the lesson look like? I have done my planning but would like some reassurance that I'm doing the right thing.

Now I have been observed at my new school and I had an interview obviously, but both previous times I taught maths. Now I'm teaching literacy. Has anyone got any advice on things I definitely should be doing in my lesson? It might be obvious but I just need speaking to like you would a first year trainee teacher.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Can't comment on the lesson content but I would make reference to e-safety (check sch's policy) at the start of lesson and on plan if observers are getting a copy. All the best!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm struggling to see how text messaging fits to direct speech...but I'm old and decrepit and only just know how to text anyway.

Tell us your plans and we'll be much better able to help you.
    I understand the freaking out after a naff experience.

4. qforshort

qforshort New commenter

I've done this before. I had a fake iPhone conversation between two characters in our novel. It was a very carefully planned conversation too that would allow for the use of good synonyms for 'said', i.e. retorted, reiterated, snapped, sneered, pleaded, etc

Children stuck the iPhone conversation into their books and underneath turned it into a conversation with speech marks. The iPhone idea was really good too as it very clearly reinforced the idea of new line for new speaker.

My expectations for groups differed, i.e. lowers could just turn it into direct speech (quote plus said word)
    Next group varied where they placed the said word and added one or two adverbs or extra little details (have done this twice so changed it slightly)
    Tops added in some narrative as well (which was manageable because I chose a part of the novel they knew well so they had ideas what to write )

My kids loved it both times and got very positive feedback in observation.

The fact you're seeking advice like this and putting so much thought and effort in means you're automatically not a bad teacher. You just need some confidence and a few more constructive observations under your belt and you'll be right. Just keep your eye on what exactly your objective is.

The synonyms for said part you might need to think about carefully depending on how long your observation is, what the kids already know etc. But definitely good to have some up-levelling of their language if you can.

Also, just really think about the construction of your conversation so it lends itself to what you want. I also had a fake conversation between myself and another teacher first so I could model how I would turn that into a conversation.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    galerider123 and Landofla like this.
  5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Be wary though - Young pupil associate online/text messaging with non-standard English...

You don't want to end up with a bunch of 'lol's and 'ur's and other horrors like that...

6. amyliv88

amyliv88 New commenter

Thanks for your advice, the lesson went really well. The head was really positive. Maybe I won't panic so maybe ch next year.

7. qforshort

qforshort New commenter

See!! Well done!!

Landofla likes this.