1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy/numeracy assessment

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by allaboutclait, May 3, 2012.

1. I wonder if anyone can help me. I work as a trainer in a company and we have a 20 year old lad with moderate cerebral palsy on work experience. I have six weeks left with him and am giving him half a day one to one tuition each week a it is obvious he is struggling with some aspects of reading and numeracy, especially reading handwriting. Does anyone have any assessments I can use with him, he hasn't said he's dyslexic (which I would have thought most lads of his age would know by now). He can walk and drive but is weak on his left side. I am wondering whether his brain damage means he is having to compensate with the 'wrong' side of his brain and that is giving him difficulties. I think he may have problems with things like working out what letter you would need to add to the start of ird to make a word. He also seemed to strugglle reading the word 'firm' today, I can see that is quite a difficult word phonetically.

Any help or advice in techniques to use would be welcomed.

2. I wonder if anyone can help me. I work as a trainer in a company and we have a 20 year old lad with moderate cerebral palsy on work experience. I have six weeks left with him and am giving him half a day one to one tuition each week a it is obvious he is struggling with some aspects of reading and numeracy, especially reading handwriting. Does anyone have any assessments I can use with him, he hasn't said he's dyslexic (which I would have thought most lads of his age would know by now). He can walk and drive but is weak on his left side. I am wondering whether his brain damage means he is having to compensate with the 'wrong' side of his brain and that is giving him difficulties. I think he may have problems with things like working out what letter you would need to add to the start of ird to make a word. He also seemed to strugglle reading the word 'firm' today, I can see that is quite a difficult word phonetically.

Any help or advice in techniques to use would be welcomed.