1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy, numeracy and phonics

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Mar 6, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Why do we say 'literacy, numeracy and phonics'?
    Why not 'English, maths and spelling'?
    I just think it's all done to big it up and make it sound more technical.
    When I was at school it was the same stuff but called....English, maths and spelling.
    Just a thought on a Sunday morning [​IMG]

2. BelleDuJour

Why do we say 'literacy, numeracy and phonics'?
    Why not 'English, maths and spelling'?
    I just think it's all done to big it up and make it sound more technical.
    When I was at school it was the same stuff but called....English, maths and spelling.
    Just a thought on a Sunday morning [​IMG]

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

English, Maths and Spellings in my class[​IMG]

4. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

You should have a look for Curriculum of Excellence and see what we have to put up with in Scotland! On second thought,do not bother.....

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

It is my understanding that the official line is that literacy, numeracy and phonics are skills rather than subjects and therefore should not be pigeon-holed into specific subject areas.
    It is also my understanding that this is bowlocks

6. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I agree, and moreover, getting any other departments other than English to understand that Literacy is everyone's job is very difficult (in my school, that is).
    That said, why don't many primary schools make the distinction between Literacy and English. My primary teacher friends simply plan their 'Literacy hour' but in fact what they are doing constitutes English not Literacy (although, obviously, the literacy skills are embedded within reading poetry, novels, short stories, writing fiction and non-fiction and taking part in Speaking and Listening activities).

7. BelleDuJour

PMSL!! [​IMG]

8. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

That's exacty the Curriculum of excellence stuff,minus the phonics but plus health and well being. Secondary school teachers hate it.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

what is the definition betqween english and literacy...surely they go hand in hand? you cant have one without say the structures,languages and genres of books and writing

10. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I agree with the literacy and numeracy! But phonics is completely different from spellings - especially for KS1 or those with literacy difficulties. Well, it should be if being taught correctly......

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

with my yr 3 who are mainly esl kids i use the phonics as their spelling list..means they learn to say the word and sounds as well learning to spell easier.

12. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Quite agree olds! But phonics is also a HUGE part of reading and further up it should be a big part of grammar as well (suffixes, prefixes etc are all part of phonics)

13. doomzebra

Surely phonics is a huge part of oracy rather than reading? So long as teh word is visually recognised then it can be read and understood.
    For a great many years I knew that misled meant to be wrongly led, even though I belived that it was pronounced "mizzled"

14. doomzebra

the, not teh - stupid fat fingers moving faster than is safe for the prevailing conditions.