1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy non fiction unit - dragons

Discussion in 'Primary' started by monkey1, Feb 24, 2012.

1. I am hoping to complete a 2-3 week unit on the topic of Dragons for our literacy lessons but also to coincide with world book day on Thursday. Anyone done this with year 4 before? and willing to share some examples? Will sit and plan this weekend - but wondered if anyone had done this and any activities that they thought went well.... by class are very boy heavy and bosterous - so want something that they can get their teeth into too and encourage them to write more!

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Non-fictional dragons?

3. I know that dragons are fictional - but I am wanting to complete some instructions, fact file etc like you would do another creature.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

I see your point but won't that just muddy the waters?

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

How to train a dragon instructions?

7. Komodo dragons, perhaps?

8. Msz

No it works fine
    If you are writing instructions it's much more fun writing how to trap a dragon than how to make a cup of tea or creating a fact file for different types of dragons ...it's the technique required for the style of writing that is taught and it is transferable to any subject.

9. I think the whole idea is a good one. You go girl! :)

10. The Egg is a great book to then develop instructions from. It includes titles like How to distress a damsel and then pictures showing what to do.
    There is definitely some stuff on Hamilton about dragons - think it is in Year 2 section but you could get some ideas to base your unit on.
    Depending which non-fiction genres you are covering, you could write a newspaper article about someone defeating a dragon?
    I would go to Waterstones or the library and look at the picture books, because there are lots of great ones about dragons at the moment and if you have a look you may well find that certain books lend themselves naturally to particular non-fiction tasks.

11. Msz

Have you seen ology world? you can visit Dragonology with videos and au

[​IMG]
    also look at the book

dio presentations

12. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Surely, if you go to the trouble of setting up a second account to congratulate your own post (?), you should at least choose a more crytic username.

13. Msz

how did that happen?[​IMG]

14. Msz

We've used St George's Day for writing TV news reports from the scenewhich we then videoed

15. Hi there

I've just completed a days work with some reception children who were learning about dragons.

We went into the school grounds and made a shelter with a plastic sheet.
    Near by I had hidden an blown ostrich egg that I had painted to look like a dragons egg, or what I thought a dragons egg would look like!

I told the children that I saw on the news that a dragon was spotted this morning and that this must have been dropped by the mother.

We then spent about 45mins adding on a new part of the story, it was nice watching the children bounce of each other and add their thoughts on what had happened. It also gave me an opportunity to question their story and ask them to elaborate on descriptions etc

Although I did this with reception i'm sure some year 4 may enjoy this!
    Good luck!