1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy linked to water ideas for interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by George68, May 19, 2011.

1. George68

George68 New commenter

Hi,
    I need to teach a 20 minute literacy lesson to Yr 3 to 4 aged children but at P2 to 8 level. Do I teach at KS2 so do something like water cycle or keep it more simple? Any ideas anyone please?

2. George68

George68 New commenter

Hi,
    I need to teach a 20 minute literacy lesson to Yr 3 to 4 aged children but at P2 to 8 level. Do I teach at KS2 so do something like water cycle or keep it more simple? Any ideas anyone please?

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Poetry - collect adjectives to do with water, shimmering, glistening etc.

children write own poem (5 Lines max) about water, e.g.
    Distant, glistening
    Shining, shimmering
    Deep and mysterious
    Threatening and enticing
    Lies the lake.

4. inq

inq

What's the LO?
    If it's for P2-8 I'd be looking at splashing, feeling, discussing rather than writing poetry. How would you present the water cycle to a P2 child so that they got something out of it?
    Make music connected with water?

5. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Find some poems with a water theme. Read them through and either give them the poems cut up for them to rearrange, or let them cut them up and rearrange the words into new poems. They could be put into shapes of water related things like fish or ships.
    It's Literacy not science and the water cycle, unless specifically mentioned by the school, might be a bit dry for such special needs children as a one off.

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Interview lesson and scissors?? No, no, no.......

7. Shape poetry, about waterfalls. Use a piece of blue plastic to wave about to give the children an idea of the noises it could make. A writing frame sheet in the shape of water tumbling for them to write on.

8. Hi

I teach year 3/4 and am currently teaching imaginary worlds linked with water (ofsted lessons). I am looking at the book 'flotsom' - David Wiesner. It is a picture book with a lovely story based around a boy who finds a washed up camera and gets the film developed to find amazing underwater pictures taken by sea creatures. I am not explaining it very well! lol it really is a lovely book:)
    Anyways I began my week by giving the children some of the pictures from the book and asking them to order them into how they felt they story went. I then 'found' some more of the pictures which i had forgotten to give them. The children the had to add these into their story - I then questioned them , did this change your original story? How? etc
    Using their pictures the children then planned their story, which they went onto write.
    We are going on to look at the story and what is was actually about and will do various drama pieces and write our own imaginary world stories in the same style.
    obviously you couldn't do all of this in 20 min but you could include ideas in your plan so they knew where you would go with your lesson.

p.s. start your lesson with a question, i used 'are books without words boring?' get the children to quickly discuss and feedback then do an activity and refer back to it in the plenary. A lot of my children were set on picture book were for babies but at the end of the session thought they were fantastic as they could make up their own stories.

not wanting to brag but got outstanding for my lesson:)

Just remember you only have 20 minutes to impress so play the game and put on a show:)

9. George68

George68 New commenter

Thank you for all those suggestions. [​IMG] I was thinking of having my learning objective as TIALT think of/ explore words describing water. Use the book "Pig in the Pond" with a 'pond' and animals to jump in. Then the children go off in groups to answer the question "Can you think of words to describe how the water felt to the pig?" They can then access this at their own level.
    I'm a bit lost because these children are older than I have experience of but still at P level so wouldn't be able to access your fantastic lesson Rocketdog princess. Thanks for the book suggestion I am going to look for that today. It sounds lovely
    Think I'll go with my gut feeling of still planning at KS1 level but extending the more able if appropriate on the day!
    Fingers crossed!

10. George68

George68 New commenter

How would you present the water cycle to a P2 child so that they got something out of it?
    Yes, that's what I thought! You have confirmed my thoughts about keeping it simple-exploring the water and associated vocab. like splash, pour, drip etc. Maybe coming up with words of their own.
    Make music connected with water?
    I like that idea!! Thank you very much for your help.