1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy lesson - Year 4 observation - any ideas please??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sassychick, May 31, 2008.

1. Hello everybody

I am putting a plea out for some ideas for a job interview lesson I must teach - it's year 4, has to be Literacy and must last 45 minutes.

I so want this job and do love Literacy but am flummoxed as to what is the best thing I could do. I was thinking of some kind of short writing task maybe. Has anyone done anything wonderful and visual in Year 4 before?

Please pass on any ideas!

2. Have a look through primary framework units for year 4, maybe pick a poetry unit? You can almost do a full lesson in 45 mins. I'd suggest a narrow learning objective and simple outcome so you can measure if they have achieved it (AFL?)If you come up with an idea/plan I'd be happy to have a look at it if that's any help?
    Pinklady82 x

3. Can it be anything?

How about some performance poetry - fun, interactive and involves lots of speaking and listening.

Or oral story telling in groups where you do a shared plan to demonstrate how to do it - kind of story board a story using cards out of hats containing character, setting and unusual object that has to be involved. Then each group picks own cards goes away and plans a story and then tells it to the group / outlines the plan.

Follow up (although it may be with class teacher and not you if you only have 45 mins) is that kids can pick one of the group plans and write the story?

Just a couple off the top of my head. If I think of any more I'll let you know

4. Hey

thanks guys! Pink lady, you are right, I do want a narrow LO, not too complicated. Will definitely bother you for advice if you dont mind!!

Saints, what great ideas! Performance poetry sounds good and quite stress free..need to think what and how to involve eal...although i love the story idea....do you mean get a sack and have lots of characters and settings and objects to put in it. I could maybe ask for chn to be in groups of four (no more as too many people) and they have to discuss and plot the story on a plan....am just now thinking it may be a lot of resources and chaos???? have you done this?

maybe a performance poem? what do the chn have to do though? am thinking out loud..........

5. Julie JD that is a lovely poem

What does wooden suits mean?
    did you differ the independent work or chn worked in groups? what was the work? Do you have a lesson plan at all???

Sorry to bother you!

6. wooden suits ie. stiff - influences the way he walks. Did it 3 years ago but will have a look to see if I can find lesson plan for you

7. The Magic Box is a great poem, Ive taught this to my year 5's.

THE MAGIC BOX, by Kit Wright

I will put in the box

the swish of a silk sari on a summer night,
    fire from the nostrils of a Chinese dragon,
    the tip of a tongue touching a tooth.

I will put in the box

a snowman with a rumbling belly
    a sip of the bluest water from Lake Lucerene,
    a leaping spark from an electric fish.

I will put into the box

three violet wishes spoken in Gujarati,
    the last joke of an ancient uncle,
    and the first smile of a baby.

I will put into the box

a fifth season and a black sun,
    a cowboy on a broomstick
    and a witch on a white horse.

My box is fashioned from ice and gold and steel,
    with stars on the lid and secrets in the corners.
    Its hinges are the toe joints of dinosaurs.

I shall surf in my box
    on the great high-rolling breakers of the wild Atlantic,
    then wash ashore on a yellow beach
    the colour of the sun.

Follow this link to online lesson plan - needs adaptation to personalise it..

http://www.poetryclass.net/lessona.htm

Pinklady x

8. Hello! I've just read this blog and since I'm in a similar position, I would like to ask you what plan did you follow at the end? Would you also give me some advice? It's my first interview and I'm quite nervous.. thank you! :)