1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Lesson - The Tunnel

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nadeemshaikhuk, Apr 13, 2011.

1. nadeemshaikhuk

nadeemshaikhuk New commenter

Hi,
    For my literacy interview lesson, I plan on reading to the children (using some drama) the book "The Tunnel" by Anthony Browne. My plan is to stop at the page where the sister goes into the tunnel and then ask the children to come up with ideas as to what happens next, with the emphasis on what the tunnel is like, how she feels, what she see's at the end of the tunnel and then what happens.
    The main activity will be differentiated with 2 low ability groups explaining what happens using role play, the other groups producing a story board with writing and maybe some drawings.
    My questions are - do you think this is possible in a 45 mins lesson and what can I set as the learning objective (any ideas) and should I do something else rather than what I plan?
    Any ideas, would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Hi,
    You don't mention what year they are? I do this exact same lesson with my Year 3s and it works really well and the chn have had some really creative ideas. I think you will probably have time (if you read quickly) but when I did it I put the book up as a powerpoint and my chn wanted to spend forever discussing the pictures!! and it took nearly a whole lesson just chatting about the book. Not sure if your using Hamilton Trust (this is one of the lessons they feature) we also did conscience alley about whether she should go in or not. We wrote notes to Jack to say we weren't going in and why and then we put them under stones around the classroom for others to pick up and read. I asked some chn to pick the best note they had read , explain why it was so good then that child got a reward. Hope this helps. You may want to check to see if the class teacher has already done this especially if they are using Hamilton trust to help with their planning - could you maybe ring the school and just ask if the class have heard the story before?
    LO could be as simple as: To finish the middle and ending of the story.
    Don't forget to give them success criteria so they know if they have been successful such as:
    I have used capital letters at the start of my sentence etc
    Claire

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just a little warning! It has been known for HTs to browse these forums, so I wouldn't give too much of your lesson content away.
    You need a clear objective or lesson focus.
    You need differentiation.
    You need to have a clear way for children to identify how they've been successful.
    Have confidence in your own ability, so your prospective Head has confidence in you.

4. I do this exact lesson with my Year 1s. We make a tunnel of tables and then create a fantasy world on the other side using fabrics. They later write their own story with the tunnel as the starting point and our fantasy island as the setting. I would probably say that your objective is to plan a story with a beginning, middle and end as I assume you will be wanting a problem and resolution to take place after the crawl through the tunnel?

5. Hi my name is LAURAINE and I am a new teacher looking for ideas for planning for the tunnel. I would be very grateful if you would e-mail me your plans and ideas.

lauraine@sky.com

thanks loads
    lauraine

6. Hi Claire, your ideas sound brilliant! I love the idea with the notes and the stones around the classroom. Could you possible send me your plans too? estellatodisco@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks