1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Lesson plan

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nita61, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Can someone pleae help. I am a student on a first placement. Pl advise how my literacy lesson can be broken down in timed steps. How much time should I allocate each task in the hour long lesson.

2. Haven't your university or placement school advised you about this? If not, I would ask them.
    In my Literacy lessons, I spend 5 minutes doing warm up games, which focus on sentence level work, about 15minutes introducing the lesson, including interactive teaching (whiteboards, talking partners, etc.) This is usually a little bit longer if I'm modelling writing, particularly when using ideas the children are generating. Then they usually have 30-35 minutes for the main task and a 5 minute plenary.
    We also have 45 minutes each day to focus on spelling, handwriting and guided reading.

3. I can confirm that universities skip over the important details in their haste to have you memorise Maslow's Hierarchy and other things you never end up needing to know.