1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy into Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrCresources, Jun 29, 2015.

1. We are launching a new approach to teaching English and want to tie what we are doing in writing into our guided reading sessions, moving away from standalone guided reading sessions. Does anyone do this at their school? How are you linking these together?

2. I am looking at doing this in the new academic year, but a rolling programme starting in Year 6 where I currently teach. I have decided I would like to do my grammar through the text as well - I just need to decide which text to use! I wanted to try and use something in a classic vein, with appropriate higher level language structures. Maybe something like The Wolves of Willoughby Chase or The Box of Delights.

3. Malenko

Malenko New commenter

I certainly like the idea of this. Real contextual examples of different text types and grammar usage rather than isolated exercises sounds like good practice.

One concern would be to avoid destroying the enjoyment of the text through over analysis and comprehension exercises.

Both concerns are from back when I was at secondary school where I recall comprehension exercises as deadly dull, and secondary English (KS4 and beyond) as deconstructing and overanalysing (or accepting others' overanalysis of) texts in such a manner as to destroy all joy one might theorically have been able to get from them.

If I associated "normal" reading (which I enjoyed and continue to enjoy greatly) with those things, I might have been somewhat less inclined towards it.