1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Intervention to the whole of Key Stage 3

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by elena1234, Jun 11, 2017.

1. elena1234

elena1234 New commenter

I've been asked to develop / plan a literacy intervention to be delivered to the whole of KS3. I will have one lesson a fortnight night with each group. They will be taught in their tutor groups which are based on their TA for En/Ma. My SLT want the intervention to focus to be to develop reading comprehension across the whole of KS3. In terms of reading comprehension ages - the KS3 cohort go from 17:00+ to 5:00. I don't want this intervention to be 'death by worksheet' as I feel that this will put them off rather than engage them with active reading strategies. I've only just been informed from my SLT and we have an OFSTED looming next term as we are in RI. Can anyone point me in the direction of a whole school literacy intervention developed around reading comprehension? Can I thank anyone in advance who responds to this post (my first on TES)?

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Hi . I think that if the literacy input is across the key stage then it would be wrong to call it an ' intervention 'because it is surely then part of your QFT model ? I suspect that I lesson per fortnight is a waste of time and unlikely to impact on your objectives - strikes me as ' tokenism ' .I think it makes more sense to prioritise / develop / execute / evaluate literacy across the curriculum and then identify those students who need additional / different support with targeted intervention rather than this one size fits all approach. There are lots of ways you can raise the profile of literacy / reading in your setting as part of your whole school development plan too. Strong English lead and Head of Curriculum Support should have been more proactive to date but as I repeat this is a whole school issue. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I think if this is the best your SLT can do it comes as no surprise you are in RI.

blueskydreaming and Dodros like this.
  3. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Agreed - one lesson a fortnight is a waste of time. Every intervention programme I've seen/delivered (LEXIA, Read write inc, toe by toe, Inference, Sound, Bedrock) recommends between 2 or 3 hours a week over a 10 to 20 week period in order to be effective. The only programme I know of that claims to be effective on a smaller scale is Reader Leader, which is based around 30 minutes a week for 18 weeks (but is one-to-one).

You mention comprehension, in which case Inference and Read write Inc are good, especially for the 8 to 11 reading age range (though naturally there will be a range of different needs within this band). However, for students with a reading age of under 8 I suspect you will find that decoding/blending is still an issue and that it's pointless to work on comprehension skills as they don't even know what the words are - in which case Lexia and toe by toe might be more useful. If students can have access to laptops, Lexia would at least allow lots of students to do it at once with minimal teacher input - but it needs to be 100 minutes a week to be effective. It is expensive though.

If you want to hit loads of students all at once, then buying lots of Bedrock accounts might be worth it (again, this depends on your budget). This is an online vocabulary comprehension programme that allows students different starting points based on baseline testing - so can work for a range of abilities. Students need to do two lesson per week, but you could set as homework and then touch base with them once a fortnight in your sessions having looked at which words they struggled with.

Dodros likes this.
  4. Cat0115

Cat0115 New commenter

I agree totally that bolt on literacy does not work. It might look as though 'action'is being taken but the benefit to the children will be minimal. This sort of short termism might work for maths skills and spelling inervention but not for the far more crucial skills of mastering the use of grammar for clear communication for example or interpreting text. In my school all staff are modelling reading skills in lessons across the curriculum
    CPD messsage from me for all staff has been about all staff being responsible for English results (which is just reading and writing!). I look and review all SOW with other HoDs to see where reading and good writing can be modelled in all subjects.The message is slowly getting through. We have a literacy marking policy and all staff are aware of students with particular literacy difficulties.

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Reading comprehension can be raised by vocabulary work such as that researched by Snowling using techniques such as REVI (inserting harder words into literary extracts). 'Literacy' is a little bit of a blanket misnomer which if often used to refer to the technical accuracy and fluency of writing (but is far more than that). Why not design a creative writing scheme using the process approach so that each child 'publishes' several pieces of writing (non-fiction and fiction) with an emphasis on ensuring the literacy is of publishable standard. 'Every child a writer' is a good reworking of the every child a reader report. This would enable you to introduce examples of writing, read them, analyse them and then help them create work of their own alongside a reflective commentary on how they feel their literacy has improved from the project.