1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy in Science

Discussion in 'Science' started by hays_scott, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Hi everyone
    Has anyone any suggestions on how to improve literacy in Science? What strategies do you use? What impact have they had?
    Thanks
    Scott

2. Hi everyone
    Has anyone any suggestions on how to improve literacy in Science? What strategies do you use? What impact have they had?
    Thanks
    Scott

3. With Y10 where we are trying to build the skill of answering the extending writing question, I have started writing a list of key words (for the less able) and ticking off the words as we meet them (and thus know what they mean). I also use flow diagrams to summarise processes such as the haber process and then get the students to turn the flow diagram into a written description.
    I have used story boarding to do something similar with eutrophication - students first draw diagrams/pictures to represent the stages, then tell the story from these, then write the text from them.
    Not sure about the impact yet - still awaiting Jan results!
    At KS3 I try to include activities such as writing poems (I do this with microbes using the poem by Hilaire Belloc as a starting point, or suggesting students produce acrostic poems); I also set a homework students have to watch a TV programme relevant to science - such as Frozen Planet or Braniac or similar - and then they write a review of the programme.

4. Get pupils used to writing out methods and conclusions in full. Start nice and early in KS3. As you're marking, occasionally note grammatical errors (e.g. are/our). Spelling tests of topic key words, writing what key words mean in their own words. Also, lots of creative writing opportunities (such as a sweet describing its journey through the digestive system or a particle describing what happens around him as the substance in which they reside changes from a solid to liquid to gas), poetry about whatever you're doing or a piece of persuasive writing about a controversial topic (Cloning, nuclear power etc..).

5. Have keywords available for each lesson based on ability of groups
    Correct spellings in books Sp
    Card match activities words and definitions
    Getting pupils to take it in turn to read to each other
    Getting pupils to say the words, some pupils cannot pronounce some of
    The words
    Hope this helps

6. I use P.E.E (Point Evidence Explain). Excellent to structure extended answers. Also encourage the use of connectives by providong lists e.g logical connectives for instructional writing i.e method or causal connectives to give reasons. English department will give good advice.