1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy ideas based on books

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by carot35, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Can i ask what kind of literacy activities you do with your children when linked to a book. I have a differnt book a week and have literacy sessions everyday but need some fresh ideas so the childrne dont get bored. I usually do a session of guided reading be it finding key words and highlighting or retelling the story after we have read it or answering questions. One day we focus on handwriting although i do a little each day as i find this works better. I do some roleplay but need other ideas. Any help would be appreciated as my brain is not functioning at the mo!!!!

2. Can i ask what kind of literacy activities you do with your children when linked to a book. I have a differnt book a week and have literacy sessions everyday but need some fresh ideas so the childrne dont get bored. I usually do a session of guided reading be it finding key words and highlighting or retelling the story after we have read it or answering questions. One day we focus on handwriting although i do a little each day as i find this works better. I do some roleplay but need other ideas. Any help would be appreciated as my brain is not functioning at the mo!!!!

3. I have written down some of the other suggestions so I have a list when guided reading centres seems like the end of my career... I have found a lot of information on other sites about the centres that the children are doing while they are not sitting with the teacher during guided reading, but suggestions on these sites only focus on the 3rd party activities- not those based on the guided reading text. I always follow a teacher session with a guided reading activity to further extend understanding of the text and give more time with the same text.
    I too make my own guided reading resources. I think it would be great if teachers working at the same school worked together to build a folder/resource so everyone can access eachothers guided reading stencils- we don't want to re-invent the wheel..
    To add some of my ideas:
    I create joint constructions of the text- just in a word document- so the children can work in their groups and reconstruct together.
    I also scan the text and ask the children to sequence- they seem to love it much more when the pictures are there.
    I have also scanned individual pages of the text and added a thought/speech bubble so the children can add text.
    On occasion, with the right text, I have asked children to re-write the text from a different characters point of view.
    It is the higher level guided reading books that I find difficult to make activities for. I tend to use a lof of the well known data organising tables- and stick with 3 or 4 that the children know and can do independenty. Does anyone else have guided reading based activities for the more able children to complete independently.