1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Hour and National Literacy Strategy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Msz, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

but why would anyone think it is? Does anyone actually teach skills in isolation or believe that it how phonics is taught?

2. Quite obviously some people do, msz[​IMG]

3. Can I ask where everyone gets their literacy objectives from now? Just looking to find some for year 4 newspapers, but struggling to find them online

4. Msz

The National Curriculum

5. Msz

Thank you

6. it is shockin;, if only in it s belligerent impulse to close down what has been happening since anyone ever learnt to read with an adult. To foce learning to be conseidered only in terms of schooling and schemes and sytems. Rather than somehting that has always fucntioned for the majority using a whole variety of techniques instinctively applied by the more eperienced learner to another.
    Of course phonics is a great tool but most of reading interaction in children's lives does not follow such an inflexible progression of ssounds being taught. Their learning proceds a pace - often at great leaps - through the interactive process of sharing meaning around print - whether that be street signs, stories or shopping lists. INformally and unregulated for much of the first six/seven years
    Many millions of us have learned well this way without the rigid application of phonics as being the collective ladder we have all to climb before we are allowed to make our own sense of things.
    I do not know why the phonics supporters are so strident in their insistene that it is the only, the primordial, the quintessential tool for reading.
    I see again and again that childrens learning occurs so differently from adult teaching. It is far more idiosyncratically patterned, bled through with emotion in the context of family and school.
    Isn't so much of this a problem becasue we insist on children mastering a skill too early, rather than allowing it to grow and accrue its strength of connection and meaning by as much experiment and observation than the parrroting of sounds and songs? Don' we risk trivlaising children;s early educational experience because we don't value it sufficiently to give it time to grow the necessary root and branch strength and vitality that would support meaningful literacy when children reach the ages of upper juniors? When they actually have something they want to write about?
    Before then isn't it argualble that there is little meaning for them in either early reading or writing as it has litle real relevance to their need to interact with life in all its raw intensity?

7. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

My school do Letters and Sounds (phonics) and if the child doesn't get it, they get Letters and Sounds again.
    If they don';t get it, they get Letters and Sounds (small group).

If they don't get that, they get Letters and Sounds (individual)

If they don't get it after that, they are put on the SEN register

FACT!

8. Of course! You will learn this and if you don't there must be something wrong with you!

9. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

That's a long hour! 13 years so far.

10. heaven help them because no-one else can

11. LOL!

12. Well we could if we looked at the problem as these children having a different way of learning and adjusted accordingly. Perhaps, heaven forbid... teach them whole words or to read on for meaning?!

13. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Yohana, how do you teach reading and how is your daughter being taught? I see your ideas as working fine for the child who does just pick it up, but there are some that won't, or don't wish to. I'm pretty sure I just picked it up quite young through being read to and my mother pointing at every word. But I'm pretty sure that if I had done that for many years with my children nothing would have happened with one of them as she loved being read to, and she loved looking at the pictures.
    Yes I'm sure that one day she might have decided that she wanted to read and write - probably so that she could read a toy catalogue or write a secret diary about her boyfriends, but until then she would have more than happy to rely on others reading to her. At nursery school she seemed to manage to get staff to read to her throughout the morning almost continually, and at home she would have happily done the same I am sure. So I am pleased that rather than wait until 11, 17, or 49 she is a very good reader in lower junior, well ahead of her age.
    Of course there are others in her class who just read, somehow magically, but a good dollop of synthetic phonics certainly helped both of mine. I had to administer it a lot of it myself at home; but that didn't take long, and it didn't stop us enjoying books and all other aspects of the reading process. It just made the whole thing much smoother.

14. but that is the point isn't it? they all are used! But the basis of everything is talk, play and talk. Kids from homes like yours get it and almost ALWAYS read, kids from toher himes don't and OFTEN might not read. They need to make up for the years of talk beofe the reading is going to have any meaning. Yet we disable them even earllier byinsisting tha they learn to do something tha relly offers little to their lives at five, six or seven. They do not 'need' to read independently, they love to discover the part of them that seeks and discovers patterns and meaning in the world but they don't particulary by nature want to scramble up reading scheme ladders and have all thier class time directed by sounding out sounds in words- great fun thought that is and can be.
    Perhaps I just think the UK with all our early learning are failing our kids in thesimple matter of daily, inconsequential, individualised, playful talk at the expense of focusing on the bigger, more important skill of 'reading'.
    How I would teach it wouldn't matter. I don;t think it does. I would rather try to fire up the teachers, to tune into and understand young children, to try their own ideas out, to understand the connections between oracy and literacy and to be proud to resist the pirating of the moonlihgt for easy causes in schools that constitutes the modus operandi of the politicians.
    To let teacher observe, document and delight in the web of connections that children are making in their play and talk and to see their teachers role as being help them to symbolise this and master the making of those symbols - in interaction not in didactic instruction.

15. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Yes, I asked that earlier and still would like to know.
    Actually, the teacher I know who deprived children of books was a "look say" approach fanatic. The children got wordless books ad nauseam for maybe a term of reception, and then if they were particularly lucky, (I think they were the ones who were good at tidying up) they received one with a few words in like "look, look, look"! Then in the summer term if she considered it wouldn't be too stressful for them they might have got something with a few disconnected phrases in. If you asked for books the child could learn to read from you got sent to the head. This was unless your child was one of the children for whom she considered something had "clicked" then you got school reading scheme books.
    Her other good saying was that there was no hurry, that the EYFS could be continued in year 1 - this was to parents of well above average children, not ones on the SEN register.
    Weird.

16. Msz

I think there is a huge number of urban myths surrounding phonics/reading and what is forbidden by EYFS. The problem is that myths quickly become reality if left unchallenged.

17. Synthetic phonics teaches children to READ what is written on a page using the code with which it has been written.

Early readers learn very little or nothing about LANGUAGE COMPREHENSION from reading. Understanding of language is primarily learned orally and aurally.

A child with little or no English comprehension can be taught to decode written words. It doesn't matter if she cannot yet understand the words. Once their comprehension of English catches up, they will. There is no logic in not teaching children to decode written words.