1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Help!!!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jwrey, Apr 6, 2012.

1. I am a PGCE student writing an essay on the role of literacy intervention in secondary school. I am a PE student who has very little idea of the role of literacy intervention in the secondary school and am getting very lost in all the acts, legislations, strategies etc?!Anyone have a dummies guide or a very general guideline I should follow as my background reading is very muddled!any help would be very gratefully received!!
    Thank You

2. I am a PGCE student writing an essay on the role of literacy intervention in secondary school. I am a PE student who has very little idea of the role of literacy intervention in the secondary school and am getting very lost in all the acts, legislations, strategies etc?!Anyone have a dummies guide or a very general guideline I should follow as my background reading is very muddled!any help would be very gratefully received!!
    Thank You

3. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Literacy help - well first of all, you should use only one exclamation mark.
    Secondly, if you can't even write your own work, or do your own research you should not be training to be a teacher; even in the rather limited sphere of PE.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Try posting this on the English Forum - you should get some help on there.

5. The poster may well be better off posting in the English section for help, but really is there any need for this sort of response Newposter? As we know nothing about the support or otherwise offered by the PGCE course, is it fair to judge the OP's suitability for teaching based on a single plea for help with one assignment? Absolutely no need for pedantry with the exclamation marks either - a cheap shot thrown from a glass house Newposter..

6. Although English teachers are usually experts in Literacy, it's important to address Literacy in all subjects across the curriculum. As a PE teacher I would imagine you focus more on the spoken word rather than written word but this is still Literacy as it is a form of communication.
    I've seen really good examples of PE teachers gently correcting pupils' language, grammar etc. Where I teach there is a distinct regional accent and an awful lot of regional dialect, which is something I love, but it's important that students understand what is slang and when / how to communicate more formally.
    In written work just set a focus for literacy for each piece of marking. For example, you might focus on correct use of capital letters one week, apostrophes the next.
    As a teacher and parent, I think it's important that kids get a consistent message across the board that clear, concise communication (spoken or written) is a crucial life skill.

7. Perhaps you
    should focus on improving your punctuation, Newposter.
    <font size="2">Good luck to the OP, I
    hope that someone is able to offer some constructive advice.</font>