1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy games for KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tpt51, Feb 22, 2011.

1. tpt51

tpt51 New commenter

I'm looking to buy some literacy games for my class - was thinking a group could play them during Guided reading because it has worked well with some maths games that we have in school. So far I have found a game called Bananagrams which looks good fun for the kids to experiment with making words and practising spelling. Has anyone got any recommendations for other games for Literacy skills? I had considered junior scrabble but I think that would take too long - it needs to be a short, slef-contained game that can be completed in 20 minutes.

2. tpt51

tpt51 New commenter

I'm looking to buy some literacy games for my class - was thinking a group could play them during Guided reading because it has worked well with some maths games that we have in school. So far I have found a game called Bananagrams which looks good fun for the kids to experiment with making words and practising spelling. Has anyone got any recommendations for other games for Literacy skills? I had considered junior scrabble but I think that would take too long - it needs to be a short, slef-contained game that can be completed in 20 minutes.

3. I send out a CD of reading and spelling resources that has numerous games. There is information on my website and you can email for a complete list.of the resources + some examples of the games. Although the resources were originally made for dyslexic pupils, they are suitable for all children.
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com

4. I have used Upwords, Boggle and some comprehension games (sorry can't remember what they were called at the moment). Boggle is good within a time limit and there is a newer version too which could make it more accessible.

5. Delphi

Delphi New commenter

Jumpstart Literacy has lots of ideas for games. In fact, all the Jumpstart books are good - poetry, drama and story-making.

6. tpt51

tpt51 New commenter

Earlier today I got 2 sets of Bananagrams from Smyths toy store - bargain at £4.99 each - half the price of Amazon hence why I bought 2.

Any more suggestions? I am going to try to get the Jumpstart books for some ideas, but I was hoping more for something like games that the children can play in a group without any need for an adult.

7. I have a few free printable literacy games on my website (www.instantdisplay.co.uk) - there are:
    Matching idioms to their meanings.
    Silly sentences - children draw cards and make a sentence from them, they can act out the sentence or just try writing the silliest and see who makes the best.
    Contractions Cards - match cards to make contractions - who can make the most with their cards.
    Simile matching cards - match the simile starters to the ends.
    Compound Word matching cards.
    Not sure if they are exactly what you are looking for but thought I'd mention it!

8. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

What a lovely site! Thanks for sharing.