1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy coordinator

Discussion in 'English' started by wcg, Feb 24, 2008.

1. wcg

wcg

Hi

I have just been made literacy coordinator at my school and feel entirely swamped about where to start.

Are there any experienced coordinators out there who could lend a helping hand?

Thanks.

2. wcg

wcg

Hi

I have just been made literacy coordinator at my school and feel entirely swamped about where to start.

Are there any experienced coordinators out there who could lend a helping hand?

Thanks.

3. I'm HOD, not Lit co-ordinator, but your LEA Literacy consultant should be very pleased to help you. Ask the Head of English for their contact details. Mine is great and not used enough across the City so she has plenty of tiem to help us out! I'm sure your school will be impressed by your forward thinking.

Also ask the Senior Management Team how literacy ties in with the Whole School Development Plan and look if OFSTED commented upon Literacy during your last inspection. These should all be good starting points and areas to discuss with your Lit Consultant.

One tip from me would be to make your work high profile - I've worked in no end of schools where the Lit co-ordinator was stumped for ideas and had to resort to just sticking punctuation posters around the school because they weren't given any direction as to what else to do. Maybe organise an event for World Book Day - maybe you can think of some good ideas for me on my posting! (please someone give me inspiration!) Good luck and congratulations on your new position.

4. wcg

wcg

Thanks very much. all very useful.

Any others out there.....

5. Hello - I have found that it has been helpful to work with/ assist departments that have most in common with English to begin with: RE and History, e.g. Many of the humanities' objectives and skills required of students link in with our own. By helping them to improve, we (i.e. English) are helping ourselves. If you know what I mean...
    Additionally, our school has reading as a particular weakness, and extended writing is an element of the whole school target requirement for performance management. This means that all members of staff have a legitimate reason ("Hang on - I can use this for my P.M.!!") for co-operation. Sometimes it can be useful to have some small fulcrum of encouragement! At times I wonder if we don't need marketing people to work on our behalf: you can get further by approaching Literacy Across the Curriculum as if you are offering something - which of course, you will be!! Unfortnately, in reality members of staff often feel as though they have one more onerous burden placed upon shoulders already burdened to a straw-breaking magnitude.
    So - be nice to your colleagues: seem as though you are helping them, rather than just expecting more than they are already doing. I'd wonder whether there were any benefits you could offer to other members of staff; relate co-operation and shared approaches to improvement in their own areas - surely ALL departments are under pressure to improve, and very often we all have the same end in sight (and not just that we need to get x percentage passes including E + M!!).

Failing that, get everybody to ensure that ALL WRITTEN RESPONSES (unless the teacher has exactly specified notes/bullets/mind maps etc.) in all curriculum areas are made in FULL SENTENCES and - equally importantly - PUPILS SPEAK IN FULL SENTENCES!!

But that's just practical, common-sense stuff! Good luck.

6. Nobody really speaks in full sentences, Danny; spoken language has a different grammar altogether.

wcg, I was Lit Co-ord a some years ago, but still have all my stuff and I'd be happy to pass it on. It'll need updating but it might give you some starting points.

Leave an email address.

7. Don't know if these ideas are any use ,but I began with an audit to see what literacy teaching was taking place in departments. This may give you a focus. Our school focus is reading this year as our KS3 results showed this up as a weakness. We have supported this with a drive in KS3 to improve library use, including some reg sessions in the library on a rota basis. We have a weekly literacy target for KS3 students which form tutors deliver at the beginning of each week. A calendar of these is given to all staff and they are encouraged to highlight the focus if it is relevant in their lessons. We also have a whole school literacy marking policy to ensure consistency across departments. Posters highlight these in each classroom. The Literacy across the Curriculum documentation has some good ideas as well. Good luck

8. greeneyes

greeneyes New commenter

9. Hi lumpy, im in my second year of teaching and have also been given the role of LIt coordinator. Please may i have your notes too?
    Keirabre@hotmail.com

10. Hi Lumpy - could I jump on the ever increasng bandwagon? My HT has just announced that they may have funding for a Literacy co-ordinator as from Sept!

thanks V

vshell18@yahoo.com

11. lumpy,
    I have just seen your note on literacy co-ordinator. If it is not too late, could I have a copy of your resources and any points you think are important in this role.
    Thanks
    singact@hotmail.co.uk

12. COULD ANYONE PASS ON LIT CO-ORD RESOURCES PLEASEEEEEE.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

VSHELL

vshell18@yahoo.com

oops caps lock on I wasn't shouting.

13. I realise this is rude, but would anyone be willing to pass on the resourses/notes to me; it would be really helpful/useful for my upcoming interview.

Thanks in anticipation:

bittersweetbundle@hotmail.com