1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Coordinator - Long term planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emma12110, Apr 16, 2016.

1. emma12110

emma12110 New commenter

Hello,

I am new to the Literacy Coordinator role in our Primary School and I am looking for some information as to how other Literacy Coordinators control and monitor what Literacy being taught within their schools. Do you create a set scheme of work for each year group/Key Stage to follow or do you provide each year group/Key Stage with the objectives they must cover according to the National Curriculum and ask them to create long/medium term plans based on these? How is this monitored during the school year?

If you have any example documents relating to this task that you do not mind sharing, they would be greatly appreciated. My email is if you would prefer not to post them on the thread.

Many thanks,

Emma

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

'Control and monitor'???!
    Either this is a poor choice of words or you are going to alienate the staff in your school.

Why would you be providing objectives, when your staff are more than able to read the NC and see what they need to cover?

In my current school, and the last three I have taught in, we write our own plans to suit our classes and satisfy the NC and upload them on to the staff drive. The literacy co-ord could look at them if they ever wanted to, but generally don't need to or want to.

3. emma12110

emma12110 New commenter

Yes it was a poor choice of words. Thank you for letting me know what happens in your school.

Best wishes.
    Yes it was a poor choice of words. Thank you for letting me know what happens in your school.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well first, I would be asking staff what they currently do within their year group. That will show up if there are any potential gaps. Then which particular objectives/ books would they like to retain within their year group?
    That should help avoid alienating your staff!;)

Then you will have an overview of Literacy across the whole school. Could any objectives fit into cross-curricular work. Would certain things be better transferred to another area? Sometiems in the middle of palanning it's difficult to see the wood for the trees and an overview provides some perspective.Then I would be having a discussion with staff as to how you could move forward.

I see the position of co-ordinator to facilitate your colleagues teaching.Ensuring they have appropriate resources, training etc. And of course ensuring the relevant objectives are being taught.

SportyK likes this.
  5. emma12110

emma12110 New commenter

That´s great advice. Thank you :)