1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy coordinator help

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by amynhol, May 1, 2017.

1. amynhol

amynhol New commenter

Good afternoon everyone! I am so excited to have the opportunity to be interviewed for a literacy coordinator role. I crumble at the thought of an interview and really want to be hot on important documentation etc. Can anyone who has experience of this give me any advice? I have been asked to create an action plan from year 6 data and teaching and learning feedback, does anyone have experience that they would like to share of creating an action plan? Much appreciated, thank you!

2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I'm a retired secondary school teacher, so disregard anything I say that is (st)age-inappropriate. I'm responding to your message because I'm a strong believer that literacy should always extend across the curriculum and never be bound by the confines of the English lesson alone.

On my website at http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/home/inclusion I have folders dedicated to the role of literacy (and numeracy) in each of the core and foundation subjects of the National Curriculum, from Art and Design through Modern Foreign Languages to Science. Try any of the subject-specific links next to the subheading "Basic Skills" under the heading "Boosting knowledge and skills". There are national and international documents there with practical suggestions for literacy-developing strategies within every school subject, not just English.

As for an action plan, I'd start with a basic audit of what is already being done to promote literacy in every subject rather than beginning with a blank sheet of paper or worse still, any preconceptions you may have. You need to encourage collegiality among your fellow teachers to persuade them to share their knowledge and experience. The post you have applied for requires a "coordinator", not a head, so you are a primus inter pares, a first among equals, chairing interdisciplinary discussions rather than imposing your own views. You are seeking a consensus among your fellows about what constitutes literacy and how best to develop it.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    minnie me likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes. I just wonder if you are the lead or coordinating provision with a focus on literacy ? If it is the latter I was Secondary and may be able to help ? However just ensure that your actions plan does not read like a list - prioritise success / impact criteria and be very clear as to what you expect to see as outcomes ( after you have implemented your strategies / approaches)

Dodros likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Totally agree that literacy across the curriculum is key