1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy assessment: Year 1 (English system)

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by Sardonicus, May 5, 2011.

1. My bilingual daughter (almost 6, in yr 1 of Primary School) is being educated in English (due to our being over the border) with an afternoon off once a week to develop in Welsh - this because we intend moving home when possible, and she wants to attend a Welsh school.
    Now, the Home Schooling advisor has been in touch and is happy - after all, we have been doing this for some tme now, and successfully - but we need to start providing assessment evidence to enable her school to compare her competance in Welsh with that in English. So how is this done?
    She has finished 'Dw i'n Darllen' Box 2 and the set of primers based on the Rala Rwdins stories; what level does this reflect, and does anyone have suggestions for the next steps?
    I had posted this in the Primary section, but some helpful colleagues there have pointed out that this is the logical place to ask.
    All help greatly appreciated!

2. My bilingual daughter (almost 6, in yr 1 of Primary School) is being educated in English (due to our being over the border) with an afternoon off once a week to develop in Welsh - this because we intend moving home when possible, and she wants to attend a Welsh school.
    Now, the Home Schooling advisor has been in touch and is happy - after all, we have been doing this for some tme now, and successfully - but we need to start providing assessment evidence to enable her school to compare her competance in Welsh with that in English. So how is this done?
    She has finished 'Dw i'n Darllen' Box 2 and the set of primers based on the Rala Rwdins stories; what level does this reflect, and does anyone have suggestions for the next steps?
    I had posted this in the Primary section, but some helpful colleagues there have pointed out that this is the logical place to ask.
    All help greatly appreciated!