1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Assembly

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Louisejd, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Hi all

I have to deliver a literacy assembly in a couple of weeks to all year groups. I have recently been appointed as Literacy Co-ordinator and am feeling a little lost. Any ideas? I thought about the question 'Why is literacy important?' but haven't got much further!

Hoping someone has more inspiration than me!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I find it hard to believe that any school would / should need to promote ' literacy ' using an assembly as a platform but maybe that is just me. I don 't think anyone ie the students would dispute that being able to read , write and spell are lifelines for the future. I think you need to adapt your focus for each year group. You may want to mention what your role is / why you are doing it and how you plan to raise the profile of literacy in the school. You may want a wow factor idea for your pitch - perhaps refer to something which you exploited at interview ?

3. I just sent you a pm as you appeared on a thread I'd found on Google. Small world!

The assembly is part of our school's Thought of the Week. We have different theme de each week and I am to do the literacy week. It isn't in relation to my role per sé, rather just the importance of literacy. I didn't explain in my post very well I don't think.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Like minnie me, I find the notion of literacy as an assembly topic daft at secondary level.

I think if I were stuck with this, I'd be inclined to run it as a game show, using common errors in literacy.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If it's a Thought of the Week thing, then why not look at literacy as an international issue - countries with very low literacy rates, how literacy empowers people and enables them to access information. Googling international literacy turns up some possibly useful sites - unfortunately it looks like you've just missed international literacy day, but maybe you can still get hold of the resources.