1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy and numeracy terrors!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by MrTricks, Mar 12, 2012.

1. So, having finally gained an interview with my first choice Uni for PGCE Drama, UWIC, I have been looking into the Literacy and Numeracy tests. The Literacy I'm not too bothered by, but the Numeracy is really scaring me - it's been 10 years since I did GCSE Maths, and I struggled then. I'm not failing miserably on the TDA practice papers, but I'm not doing great, and with the wrong test on the day I'm afraid I won't do well at all.
    Obviously, this is for a Welsh provider and so is slightly different, though they recommend using the TDA tests as a guide to the kinds of tests they'll set.
    Are these tests as horrrific as I think they might be? I've gone from being nervous about the interview to being even more scared of the tests!

2. So, having finally gained an interview with my first choice Uni for PGCE Drama, UWIC, I have been looking into the Literacy and Numeracy tests. The Literacy I'm not too bothered by, but the Numeracy is really scaring me - it's been 10 years since I did GCSE Maths, and I struggled then. I'm not failing miserably on the TDA practice papers, but I'm not doing great, and with the wrong test on the day I'm afraid I won't do well at all.
    Obviously, this is for a Welsh provider and so is slightly different, though they recommend using the TDA tests as a guide to the kinds of tests they'll set.
    Are these tests as horrrific as I think they might be? I've gone from being nervous about the interview to being even more scared of the tests!

3. Hi there!
    Congratulations on getting an interview!
    I think you're worrying far too much about the maths test! It is very unlikely they'll set a TDA style skills test as the task. Instead, it will be a few maths questions that you will get a considerable amount of time for.
    I had a maths test in my interview. And although it hasnt been 10 years since I done GCSE maths (I resat my GCSE maths last year!), the questions are normally straight forward and on basic concepts such as fractions, percentages and ratio.
    What I suggest using is BBC GCSE bitesize maths online :) There are little mini tests that will show what you CAN do and what you can't. The things you're not so hot on you can look back at the 'revise' sections! Also try doing questions from past GCSE papers on the AQA website. They'll highlight the areas where you need to improve!
    Obviously at some stage you will have to do the TDA tests, but for now just don't panic and revise maths stuff - because its very unlikely you'll get a TDA test in your interview!

Good luck!