1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy and Numeracy Documents/Objectives

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by happygreenfrog, Aug 24, 2011.

1. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

I have been overseas now for 7 years yet my last 2 schools, despite both teaching the UK National Curriuculum, did not have the latest Numeracy or Literacy documents. Despite having contacted both the standards and NC online sites via telephone, neither is able to supply me with the new docs, which is rather bizarre.
    Has anyone got online links to where I may find these for KS2. I'm looking for specifics with Block and Unit objective breakdowns and not some wishy washy nonsense which I've got. I would also appreciate any links that have word/sentence level objectives for the latest Literacy strategy, split by year group. Yes, like in the original vastly superior docs which from trawling TES I understand many KS2 tecahers are stil using as a guideline.
    Cheers in advance.

2. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

3. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Thanks for the consideration, but I'm very familiar with both of these sites.
    The government site is useless really and i think my query echoes that I've seen elsewhere on TES, namely for Literacy "Our main concern is that there are no specific objectives for sentence level work, as there used to be. It seems that it is hoped we cover it through shared reading/writing on an ad-hoc basis, there is no specific advice on what grammar/punctuation should be taught at each stage"
    Spot on from this fellow teacher. I fear the new guide simply gives limited support to anyone and from what I've found, many teachers are still using the old guide and docs. In my last overseas post there was no effort at all to co-ordinate sentence level work so each KS2 tecaher was actually teaching what grammar and punctuation they wanted and as a Key Stage not necessarily covering all that is needed.
    As regards Numeracy, Hamilton Trust is very good of course, but in one of my old schools they had examples of work to be taught for each of the objectives split into Blocks and Units, very much like the original numeracy folders. I have not seen this anywhere else though.

4. All there is, is the old archived stuff as posted above - there isn't anything new out.
    The new Gov has said 'the old stuff is pants, we aren't going to use it anymore' because it was done by the last Gov, but they haven't actually released anything at all to replace it.
    All of the school's I've been in over the past couple of years have just used the National Literacy and the National Numeracy Strategies, which are the archived things in the link above, then select 'Primary Framework' and there is literacy and numeracy sections there.