1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by orangeshortbread, Feb 18, 2011.

1. How do you teach paragraphs?

I want to introduce the idea of paragraphs to my Year 2s but I have never done this before. Can other Year 2 /3 teachers tell me how they introduce the concept?

Thanks so much!
    OS

2. How do you teach paragraphs?

I want to introduce the idea of paragraphs to my Year 2s but I have never done this before. Can other Year 2 /3 teachers tell me how they introduce the concept?

Thanks so much!
    OS

3. Is y2 too young for paragraphs except for the most gifted of writers? There's so much you can do on having sentences that follow on first.

4. That is why I have not done it before. However this year I have a handful of Level 3 writers who I think are ready.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

You need to teach them to plan their writing and identify what goes in what paragraph. Show them lots of examples of paragraphing.
    Planning their writing is the key. eg.
    Para 1: Explain what farming is
    Para 2: Animal farming
    Para 3: Crop farming
    Para 4: Daily life of a farmer
    Para 5: why I would / would not like to be a farmer
    Obviously, I would want more detail in their plans, I am rushing.
    Hope this helps

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd start with a picture storyboard for year three. Then get them to write a few sentences for each picture and then show them how that makes a paragraphed piece of writing. Lots of practise at that and then move on.