1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy 1c to 2c

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ChrisMcG, Oct 18, 2011.

1. just moved into year one from reception and have to get my 1c children to 2c by the end of year. Problem is I have only ever taught in Reception and dont know where to go next, really feel out of my depth. Is there any books or anything you can think of to help with lesson ideas. Obviously Ive got the level descriptors but feel weak on lesson ideas.

2. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Anything by Pie Corbett will be very useful to you. He has one about storywriting at KS1 that's essential reading, and there is also a series of books called 'Start Writing...' which give ideas on writing adventure stories etc. Corbett contributed to this series with others. We write in literacy every day (school policy) and this really does pay dividends. I would prefer not to have to do it like we do as there is so much marking and faffing about but you could have them write on whiteboards as well as in their books which is giving them practise without the workload. Get them writing letters, making adverts, writing lists, rules, instructions - anything! Speak to the literacy co-ordinator about your worries - better now than to flounder any longer. We do news on Mondays so that they can write about themselves without stressing over content. I give each child feedback on their writing during this session (it doesn't need much input so there's plenty of time for talking with them) but I don't mark these books other than a few notes in pencil if it's needed decoded by them. I use these books to cheer me up because as you look back through them you can see them improve week on week.

3. thank you for your reply dagnabit will hunt out Pie Corbett books this half term.

4. If you're talking writing, if you have a topic idea/text type we could probably give you some more specific ideas?
    We do lots of story retelling with actions and adapting stories for writing.
    I've just got mine to plan and write a story from scratch, and a lot of them used influences from a book we had previously read and did storytelling actions too ("So off they went..") etc.

In terms of 1c/2c, simplistically a 1c is beginning to write simple sentences that don't need too much mediation.
    2c is a much larger amount of writing with simple connectives/description and some sentence variation.

5. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

But, really, it's all level 1 achievement, whatever you call it. So, although you do need to show progress, in terms of levels it's no big deal, is it?
    Level 1 Writing =
    Pupils' writing communicates meanin through simple words and phrases.... pupils begin to show awareness of how full stops are used. Letters are usually clearly shaped and correctly orientated.
    So, if you want sublevels, you can call that 1a if you want and if there's anything of level 2 in evidence, then you can call it 2c if you want. Can't you?

6. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Yes, its just baby sitting really. The real progress comes when you move them from a chubby crayon to a pencil. [​IMG]

7. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Those Pie Corbett books sound good. Will investigate. One of my children is year 1 and I discovered at a recent parents' eve by looking at her books and talking to the teacher that she spends most of her writing time chatting to her friends rather than writing, so I'm going to see if those books can get her excited about writing a story at home again then she might do the same at school.
    Any tips for handwriting - she experiments with joined up writing at home and does quite well at it considering she has not been taught to do it yet - I think they are just practising individual letters at school with the lead in and lead out if you see what I mean - is there anything simple you would recommend for her to learn it at home? I don't want to spend hours devising my own exercises, the Schofield and Sims stuff is deadly. I'd like something where the practice exercises are clearly laid out and progressive, preferably photocopiable, and where there is some real content as well as just practising joins so that she feels she is writing some real stuff during the handwriting practice. I want to do this because she is keen, she has never been taught to print properly, so I think it might be the physical act of writing which is making chatting away extra attractive too.
    Thank you.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

9. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Thank you I'll look at that link Msz.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter