1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lit and Num hour in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by caz2690, May 18, 2011.

1. Does anyone else do a lit and Num hour everyday in preperation for yr1

2. Does anyone else do a lit and Num hour everyday in preperation for yr1

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Does anyone do a literacy and numeracy hour in Y1?

4. Oh no! I hope not!

5. was meant to say In Reception class

6. Msz

We don't use reception as preparation for Y1 (and we don't have literacy/numeracy hours)

7. No!!!!

Y1 don't do it either they do what we do now.

8. Nooooooo!!!!!!

9. Noooo!!!!

10. Why would they?
    It was a ridiculous strategy with absolutely no pedagogical justification!

11. No! But does anyone keep seperate numeracy and literacy based files alongside learning Journeys?
    I don't personally but after a moderation meeting found someone who does! Isn't that just making more work for yourself when all evidence of the child's learning should be in the Learning Journey?

12. The 2 foundation teachers I work with have been told they need to do a Lit and Num hour after half term, your thoughts please

13. I don't think they should do a full English or Maths lesson in the more formal style used by many Year 1 classes. However, they should think about the transition they are offering in Reception as transition should not just happen in Year 1. In my school during the last 2 weeks of term the Reception classes start a transition unit of work which is completed during the first 2-3 weeks of Year 1. It has defintately worked for all children in my school.
    http://www.tgfl.org.uk/index.cfm?s=1&m=754&p=501,index

14. The literacy and numeracy hours were put in place by a government who thought they understood more about how young children learn than the teachers that work with them. The sad thing is many teachers have been brow beaten into believing that this is true! Ridiculous. How can anybody who knows anything about child development presume that a five year old in year 1 learns differently than a five year old in reception? Teaching and learning activities need to be developmentally appropriate to each child no matter where that child is (reception or year 1). I provide slightly more structured and independend activities to my reception children as and when they are ready for them and not before - this should continue into year 1. PLEASE make a stand about this - you are having your professionalism taken away from you. If you really know your children then do what is best for them and stand up for them. NOT ALL CHILDREN are ready for this type of teaching and it can turn them off for life - I have seen it in many schools - , mostly boys who no longer engage with their learning because they were seen to be failing by the implementation of the literacy and numeracy hours that did not take their needs into account.

Sorry for the rant but I have just spent a whole year doing my MA dissertation on just this!

15. Are you suggesting that maths and English should not be taught daily in Year 1?

Look at it the other way round - there are many children in Reception who need to be challenged in a way they do not get from the EYFS curriculum.

Any serious research to support this!!???

And that is the crux of your argument. You have a pretty useless Masters degree and know best.

16. Teejay
    'Are you suggesting that maths and English should not be taught daily in Year 1?'
    Of course not! But teaching it the way of the strategies does not give children the time to apply the taught skills in a real way with meaning. What about the children who want to carry on the task? What about those who don't engage with it?
    'Look at it the other way round - there are many children in Reception
    who need to be challenged in a way they do not get from the EYFS
    curriculum'
    As above - I often have my higher ability/more mature children sat on task doing either literacy or numeracy for as long as they wish and because they want to and choose to - more so than the children doing 1 hour (20 mins on task) in year 1 who are taken off task for the plenary!
    'Any serious research to support this!!???'
    Yep but just having my breakfast so will need to go and find it for you.

'And that is the crux of your argument. You have a pretty useless Masters degree and know best.'
    I am really sorry you feel like this about an MA degree. I chose to do this in my own time, paid for it myself because I wanted the opportunity to do some 'serious research' and improve my own teaching. The research I have done throughout my degree has helped me to look much more critically at pedagogy and will of course have caused me to have an opinion. I am not apologising for this. I just feel that many teachers have had theirs undermined by government strategies and the literacy and numeracy hour is (in my opinion) one of them.

17. Hi Teejay
    I'm sure that if you were really interested in the research you would look it up yourself but here are a couple of starters:

Normal

Fisher, J. (2010) Moving On to
    Key Stage 1: Improving transition from the Early Years Foundation Stage.
    New
    York: Open University Press.

Fisher, R. (2000)
    'Developmentally Appropriate Practice and a National Literacy Strategy', British
    Journal of Educational Studies, 48: 1
    , 58 — 69.

18. Msz

[​IMG] A study of the transition from the Foundation Stage to Key Stage 1

19. Thanks Msz
    I was saving that one for a comeback but the fact you have linked it probably adds more credence.[​IMG]

20. Msz