1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lists of words suitable for Y1 phonics screening practice...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by giraffe77, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Then since I don't use SP you won't have a problem with my ANSWER

2. Oh, and I am aware you don't do SP, but as that is the prescribed method and indirectly the subject of this thread, that is what I am addressing in my posts. If you want to start a thread about your method then we will perhaps discuss that.You certainly come across as a champion of SP on this forum, until it suits you not to.;-)

3. Msz

The thread appears to be entitled Lists of words suitable for Y1 <u>phonics </u>did the OP miss the S?

4. Do you know the meaning of 'indirectly'?

5. Msz

6. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I certainly won't be doing any preparation for the test, and to be honest it hadn't occurred to me that anyone else would, which is why I find this thread very depressing. I can't believe that more time will be wasted by some teachers making the kids read a load of nonsense words.

7. gcf

gcf

Msz. I'm getting confused here. I thought that your school used Jolly Phonics and Phonics International - these are strong SP programmes so maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick?

I certainly agree that lists of words are a terrible way of enabling children to become competent readers but a minimal amount of practice with non words may well help some children.

8. Msz

I use the materials but I my background is linguistic phonics so that influences how I teach and use them.

9. Exactly!
    And like all tests imposed by governments, it will end up as a test of the teacher's ability, not merely the pupils'.
    And as half the words in the sample test are nonsense ones, it is sending out the message that practice with nonsense words is a good idea.

10. Msz

Surely teaching well every day is the way to give your class the best chance and isn't that what we should be doing rather than panicking now the pilot results are public knowledge.

11. I would imagine that all teachers do their best to teach their children well every day. Unfortunately the government may not have the same idea of what constitutes good teaching as the teachers. When the government prioritises phonic skills above reading skills by devising a statutory check of decoding skills it is dictating that this becomes a priority for teachers too. SLTs will put pressure on Foundation and Y1 teachers to make sure the pupils will pass the test so that OFSTED will not criticise the school on this issue, phonic teaching will be pushed earlier and earlier in children's school careers, and be given more and more time. And if passing the test requires decoding non words, this is what will be practised.No, this should not happen, but it is naive to believe that it won't.

12. Msz

Do they prioritise phonics skills ... they still have reading tests in both KS1 and KS2 it's simply a check to identify children who may need more support at the beginning of Y2, which is presumably what teachers do already. I agree there shouldn't be a need to formalise it by requiring schools to report the outcome but threads like this will only serve to convince the government that it is necessary.

13. HahaWell, Mr Gove, if you are reading this ..... please note that teachers are intelligent beings with rational ideas about teaching reading, not automatons to be programmed by governmental masters and their privatised minions.Hmmm, don't hold your breath.;-)

14. Msz

I think the previous posts may well negate that statement thumbie

15. Including thumbie's penultimate...

You beat me to it, Msz!

Happy Easter!

16. Msz

Happy Easter
    [​IMG]

17. Goodness! Mr Gove might not be hanging on my every word with baited breath but two contributors on here must have been hovering by their computers.;-)Happy Easter to all lovers of free and thoughtful debate!

18. Msz

yes sad as it may seem thumbie I am typing on TES on Easter Sunday morning watching the clock with nothing better to do until 11am
    although it is perhaps time I got dressed.

19. I just popped on to see if you were about, thumbie. I'm off to catch my horse now.

Thanks for the buns, Msz. I wish my browser would let me do pictures!

20. I made a word wheel phonic blends on a centre wheel endings ,sensible and not,on the outer .Turn the inner wheel to match an outer sound get the children to put the word in a sentence including their take on the nonsense words .I found interestingly that the non't so able readers found this more fun than the able readers they liked the idea of inventing a new word meaning writing their sentence and taking it home .
    Hope the description makes sense you would only need one per table group or just one for phonic groups if taken out by the TA as in our school. [​IMG]