1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lists of words suitable for Y1 phonics screening practice...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by giraffe77, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Trying to save my lovely teaching friends time, I thought it might be useful to start a thread with word lists suitable for the phonics check!
    Hope it's useful for you!

2. starling

3. Ok, weird layout, but works in principal! [​IMG]
    Thought I'd start off with the DfE list

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/unit1_pdfs/assessment/Assessment_nonsense_word_test_advanced_k.pdf

Also, lots of nonsense words of all levels of difficulty in Toe by Toe if you have one lying round in school.

5. <font size="2" face="HelveticaNeueLT-LightItalic" color="#1a171b">
    </font>

6. I love you Lardy!

7. Oh p*** off! If you don't want to help, don't, I'm just trying to save myself some ever-decreasing time! As I've said on another thread, I'm not remotely worried about my class reading levels, but I'd like to prepare them slightly for the structure of the test, and before you start, I'm not teaching to the test! I want to play games with the lists of words, and didn't think it was a productive use of time for everyone to think up lsts of random words all jumbled-up on their own. If we all just posted one, we'd have loads of lists to choose from! My guess is that someone might have two logins on here...perfect for stirring!

8. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

We use Read Write Inc, it already has nonsense words in the screening check that we do regularly. We also have the smart kids buried treasure games. How is this saving time? I am not going to start doing any extra, but I'm going to concentrate on teaching the rest of my phonics lessons.

9. Are the Smart Kids games worth getting? I've made the ****** ones and have used the phonics-play website, but i like to mix up the formats in my phonics sessions. Think I'm panicking that although I'm very confident my children will be able to do the reading part, the format will throw them. Maybe I'm panicking over nothing, but when I started getting accused of things that I had no intention of doing, I felt a bit picked-on and my professionalism was questioned. Apologies for my previous post, but I'd had it up to 'here' with the accusations, and someone taking the mickey didn't help.

10. Fantastic site here http://www.oxfordphonicschecksupport.co.uk/login that will generate sample tests.

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think giraffe thinks you are me or I'm you lardy because I have said the same on another thread ...and I only have one user name

12. Thanks peskyKat...really appreciate your help!

13. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I love the smart kids games, we have all the phase boxes they sell. I actually use them as part of my guided reading activities and not in phonics.

14. Thank you for this link.

15. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

My school suggested we test the kids now (well, last term) just to see how they get on. Lots of surprises actually, some of my very able readers did very badly in the test. Better I know now than find out in June I think. Lsrdy, particularly love your comment about it being a waste of time for teachers to think up non words...yes....that's precisely why this thread was created, so we spend less time doing just that. I agree the phonics test is a waste of time tho as I say it has shown me some kids who perhaps aren't as able as I first thought, but at the end of the day if my class do badly it's going to come back and haunt someone (me, the school, their y2 teacher....) so I want them to do as well as they can.

16. Because they are already on what Rose called the next stage of learning to read,
    namely learning to read for meaning. He kept stressing that phonics is only the first stage of learning to read and should only last about a year, then to be replaced by learning to read for meaning. Children who are already at that stage would find it difficult to regress to mere decoding. Reading words which make no sense would simply make no sense to them.
    I find the use of nonsense words for teaching reading absolutely horrendous and hope this insane part of test at least will soon be dropped again.
    If u want to practise reading with real words which use only the main English spelling patterns, i.e. without tricky words, all the common ones are listed at
    http://englishspellingproblems.co.uk/html/learning_to_read.html Learning to read a few words as a list is a bit like learning vocabulary when learning a foreign language.It can be very helpful.
    The phonic variability of many English graphemes especially
    <ea> - (treat &ndash; great, threat, theatre, create)<o> - (on &ndash; only, once, won, woman, women, who) and all graphemes with <o> <ou> (shout &ndash;should, touch, soul, soup)<o-e> (home - come, move) <oo> (food &ndash;good, flood)<oa> (road &ndash; broad)
    makes learning to read English much slower than other languages already.
    The use of nonsense words for teaching reading prolongs the process even more.

17. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I do agree it seems insane to insist these children spend time reading nonsense words when they are already fluent readers. But, at least 2 of them have no strategy when they come across a word they don't know in a book, other than to say "I don't know what it says" and hope the adult tells them. I, obviously, insist they sound it out (assuming its at least partly decodeable) but even then they just say "I don't know" - their blending skills are rubbish! How can I get them to improve this? The problem with giving them only real words is that they may well have come across them already. That is the point of giving nonsense words, it truly is a test of blending as they cannot rely on prior experience, and it has revealed to me that they need more practice in it! I always just tell them it could be someone's name ( often a cause of issues, especially Asian names in our very white school) and they accept it.

18. I think that this is learned behaviour. They look to someone else to tell them what the word is because adults always have told them. Of course, it is much easier to look helpless and wait for someone to tell them a word than it is to sound out and blend it. I get a number of children who do this in KS3; I make it very clear that I expect them to do the work, not me, and always insist that they sound out and blend (helping if a grapheme is unfamiliar to them, which they often are [​IMG] ) After a few times they get the message and are frequently quite pleasantly surprised to find that they can work out words independently.
    It helps if this policy is followed by everyone who may hear them reading (parents, TAs, other teachers) so that the message is consistent and they get plenty of practice of sounding out and blending.

19. I think this can be traced back to a time issue. Waiting for the child to sound the word out and blend the sounds, with support, takes time. When there is so little time for hearing readers in today's class timetables, hearing readers tends to be hurried, and adults will tell the child the word to save time. In guided reading it is even more hurried if you are hearing children one by one, and if they are reading round the group it is likely someone will be good at blending and do all the work.Interesting that someone said that the best readers in the class were failing when their phonic ability was tested. ;)

20. Iknow it takes time initially, thumbie, but it saves time in the long run when the child no longer stops to be told a word. What is more important here, givng the child the life skill of being able to read independently or saving the little bit of time it takes for the child to work out a word for themselves?
    We are talking Y1 here, aren't we? This is a time when the child's reading vocabulary is not very extensive and they can very well get by by memorising words 'told' to them. The crunch comes later when the word count increases and texts become less easy to memorise. Y1's 'able' reader can very well become y6's struggler if they depend on memorisation.