1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Listening skills

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by loulabelle888, May 14, 2011.

1. loulabelle888

loulabelle888 New commenter

Hi all,

This year we have noticed a real problem in our new Year 7's listening skills (following task instructions, listening to each other and teacher explanations) and would really like to put in place some tasks at the start of the year to help them develop these essential skills. Does anyone have any general ideas that would help? I teach History/Geography so anything for this type of subject area would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. loulabelle888

loulabelle888 New commenter

I'll add to this that we are lucky enough to have very well behaved and bright students and on the whole they "listen" in silence when they are asked, but we find that they aren't "actively listening" and aren't aware of what has been said, even with the most vivacious staff delivering the most varied lessons! It isn't a case of getting them quiet, it's a case of repeating instructions 4 or 5 times! We have tried asking them at random to repeat back instructions and also random (no hands) questioning, to which has only been marginally helpful. Any other suggestions?

3. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

In order to get information across to anyone, it has to be repeated 3 times, preferably with slight variance.
    Someone was dissing child psychology on another thread, but psychology really does matter.
    Me, I'd love a class which is actually quiet enough to listen to anything. Bound to be my fault that they don't, though. I'm clearly not entertaining enough.