1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

listening and speaking GCSE test

Discussion in 'English' started by ranahisham, Jan 6, 2012.

1. ranahisham

ranahisham New commenter

Hello,

My son's teacher told the class that they have a GCSE test next Tuesday in listening and speaking .
    She asked them to talk about 5 things related to a book they read. The speaking is of 3-5 minutes as I understood.

Where can I find what is expected from him and what to do to prepare my son for the test?

Thank you

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Ask your son, or look on the school website for some clues to which specification the department use. Then, looking on the exam board's website, find the specification and you'll see the mark scheme for the speaking and listening assessments. For example, the AQA one is here: http://store.aqa.org.uk/resourceZone/pdf/english/AQA-4705-W-SP.PDF and the mark scheme is on pages 34/5 (the page numbers on the printed page). You'll see that your son will need to present confidently and engagingly for the top bands so best to speak without notes, or just very brief prompts and keep visual aids (power points, props, posters) to the minimum. Use of humour or emotive language, for example, will show that he has adapted his talk and he should know the book really well so that he can answer questions effectively. The best presentations are those by students who are naturally confident and engaging or those who have rehearsed their speech but are able to present it as if they are a confident speaker, even if they're not.

3. ranahisham

ranahisham New commenter

Thank you very much Gloriasunshine,

My son's exam board is AQA. He is not a confident speaker but your suggestions are really useful.I am going to have a look at the link that you sent me.

Thank you again

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

If not confident, a few slides are helpful because they are something to point to! Avoid too many of them, and keep text to a minimum, but images of the author, book cover(s) etc are a good start. Maybe also a picture of the setting if a real place or something like that. Get him to plan the structure first and then think about the use of humour, a quick quiz or puzzle, or a clip of the author etc to engage. He could also read a short paragraph and talk about it. Maybe the first paragraph and talk about how it creates interest or his favourite character description. Less confident speakers are prone to deliver a long speech that loses the audience so breaking it up with something can help. Clear structure and speech, interesting content and with some range of vocabulary and expression is a C when I'm assessing.

5. ranahisham

ranahisham New commenter

Now I am worried!!
    I was encouraging him to write :
    We thought now about reading a short paragraph as you said .
    Thank you you have enlighten me , nothing was said in class about these ideas unless my son was dreaming during the class!!

Thank you again