1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Listening and Appraising

Discussion in 'Music' started by KConaghan, Aug 12, 2011.

1. I teach Music in a primary school and have identified appraising Music as the main thing to improve throughout the coming year. I obviously link listening to my learning area for each class, but like to cover it explicitly as well.
    Has anyone got a listening and appraising 'scheme' or has anyone done this before? I am unsure of which genres to cover in each year group and wanted to see if anyone had any useful starting points.
    I can easily get a list of genres of the internet and organise it but anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

2. I teach Music in a primary school and have identified appraising Music as the main thing to improve throughout the coming year. I obviously link listening to my learning area for each class, but like to cover it explicitly as well.
    Has anyone got a listening and appraising 'scheme' or has anyone done this before? I am unsure of which genres to cover in each year group and wanted to see if anyone had any useful starting points.
    I can easily get a list of genres of the internet and organise it but anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

3. bod99

bod99 New commenter

I'd cover all genres through all year groups. That way you can keep revisiting and building on knowledge.
    Have you seen the "listening to music KS1/2 and 3" books? (3 separate ones). Published by saydisc with a cd they have some really unusual listening pieces, all of appropriate length, with notes on the performers/composers and ideas of follow up activities in class.