1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lisbon

Discussion in 'Personal' started by susanrk, Aug 19, 2019.

1. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

Now I'm retired we can holiday out of school term so are having 4 nights in Lisbon in September. Ideas for things to do and see would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Cascais beach, 30 kms west of Lisbon, is worth a day trip. There is an urban train that goes from Lisbon to Cascais (Linha de Cascais).
    Generally, get your fill of their famous sardines and Portuguese custard tarts!

susanrk likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

There is a very fampus metal tower with a lift you can go up with views out across the city. Costs €6 if memory serves.

Or you can go over to the other side of city, into a supermarket, into their free lift and get the same view from their balcony. For free

susanrk and HelenREMfan like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sintra is well worth it but sort tickets online before hand otherwise the queuing will render it less "Worth it".

nizebaby and susanrk like this.
  5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

There is a hop on hop off bus. WE did a trip which involved going on a tram ride - the streets were incredibly narrow as we went up the hilly streets... Agree totally re the custard tarts - delicious.
    I would say the metal lift (just off one of the main pedestrian areas) is worth doing as it is a great piece of iron :)

Some rather nice looking restaurants by the riverside..... between the cruise stop and the Tower of Belam (from memory it celebrates Portugal's naval history and discovery) There was also a museum close by there too...sorry I have forgotten the name of it.

Enjoy ...it is a lovely city :) ( Will be there myself again 19 sept.... )

susanrk likes this.
  6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We loved Lisbon. Just walking around is a pleasure. There are several lifts, including the metal one and the supermarket one. Take the bus up to the Parque Das Nacoes. There's a big shopping centre and a lovely park and aquarium and lots of nice places to eat.

susanrk likes this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

There are trams all over Lisbon, a couple are 'heritage' (i.e. old!) ones - worth doing one for a trip all round the city centre.

You should also go to the Jerominos Monastery and nearby Belem Tower - both very interesting, UNESCO World Heritage site etc. And the bakery which invented the Pastel de Nata is nearby!

susanrk likes this.
  8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

We found the Yellow Bus Tours "all in one ticket" for 3 days good value:
    https://www.yellowbustours.com/en-GB/Lisbon/Circuits/All-in-One.aspx

It includes two historic tram tours (the red line and the green line), two open-top bus tours, a river trip and an open-top minibus tour to Belém. The red and green historic trams take much the same route as service tram 28, but the latter gets very crowded and, because there is often standing room only, has become prone to pick-pockets. Seating is (or was when we were there in 2016) guaranteed on the red and green routes, although they are less frequent.

Most of the museums are in, or en route, to Belém, which is about 5 miles from the city centre and can be reached on modern (yellow) tram 15. There is a tram museum (next to a huge market), an historic coach museum (royal state coaches), the Jeróminos Monastary (queues can be long at certain times) and, just opposite, the Calouste Gulbenkian for modern art.

In totally the opposite direction is The National Museum of the Azulejo, containing one of the largest collections of tiles and other ceramics in the world.

There are some fabulous small restaurants in Lisbon - particularly if you take the Elevador de Santa Justa (the "metal lift") or the Ascensor da Glória funicular (shown below) to the Bairro Alto (upper district). Many feature live performances of fado in the evenings (not to everyone's taste, I admit!).

[​IMG]

lanokia and susanrk like this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I didn't realise 'Ol' Blue Eyes' was still doing gigs.

More seriously, buy a 72 hour Lisbon Pass Card before you go.
    https://www.getyourguide.co.uk/lisb...9e780b5b77cf3074f223&referrer_view_position=1
    It pays for admission to top attractions and discounts at various landmarks. Available for 24, 48, or 72 hours, and provides unlimited free access to the public transport system.

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We stayed in as lovely apartment right in the old part of town, with a fado bar across the square. It war nice to have the live music every night but I certainly wouldn't have paid money for it! Dismal and all the same. We were also up and across from where the cruise ships dock. Interesting, but made me d amn sure I never want to go on a cruise! We could see when everyone was disembarking and avoid the busy spots for a few hours.

We thought Belem was a bit overrated, and the tram there wad a bit dull, though we had a nice lunch as I recall. The food market's interesting but nothing like as amazing at I was led to believe. The best thing was just walking round. You can wander for hours

susanrk likes this.
  11. May2

May2 Established commenter

We went to the Time Out food market which had different cuisines from all round the world and was quite a novel experience but it does get very busy and we did have to search a little for seats. I don't know if The Jeronimos Museum website is up and running to buy tickets on line. We went last October and the online booking was unavailable for several months before we went. You can buy tickets for Jeronimos at the Archeology museum next door or in a tourist info booth in the park opposite with out any long queues. Don't waste time queuing up at the Jeronimos , get your ticket first then you can walk straight in. It is a very busy city. we never managed to go up the metal tower lift as there was a half hour queue at about 7.00 pm.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

IIRC there is a beer museum;)

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's the worst time of day to go uptourists are flocking to the upper district for dinner (and many don't know that you can get there by taking the chain of four escalators in the adjacent Baixa-Chiado metro station (no ticket required).

I forgot to add earlier that it is worth remembering that Lisbon has an Atalantic (not Mediterranean) climate, and absolute downpours of the type seen recently in the UK can sometimes strike.

nomad likes this.