1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid smoke

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Having found this mentioned in many American recipes, I googled to find out what the heck it was.
    Errrrmmm, interesting.[​IMG]
    But what can you use instead of it?

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Isn't it just supposed to replicate the smokey aspect of smoked food? It's a cheap, chemically flavour enhancer, isn't it? If in a stew, I'd used smoked bacon or if it's for a joint of meat, cook it on the barbecue.
    I'm thinking as I type, but I suspect that a barbecuey flavour can also be achieved by adding a good slug of peaty whisky to a sauce (Laphraoig would be a good choice, or Ardbeg), maybe with a slosh of worcestershire sauce and a dollop of molasses or dark muscovado sugar.
    I've heard of liquid smoke and whilst I don't know what it is, I'm highly dubious about it all.

4. ROFLMAO!
    manashee - look awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
    My Grandad would be turning in his grave at the thought of me wasting a good Scotch whisky in food!
    (pure, never mixed and, of course, NO ICE! Two fingers worth - but he allowed me three as I have skinny fingers)

5. As an enlightened Scot I have been putting whisky in marmalade for years! My mother taught me that one and she was a dedicated whisky drinker....[​IMG]

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm no marmalade maker - I'll leave that to my mother and mother-in-law. However, all this talk of whisky has made me thirsty. And I've a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter-Cask open...
    Normally neat and no ice, I'll add a few drops of water tonight, seeing as it's only Tuesday...!
    Slàinte mhath!

7. Slainte nick. I'd rather be putting it in marmalade though....[​IMG]

8. Tis a rare occurence - but I have no whisky in the house. It is the one thing I normally do have here...
    cosmos - family legend has it that my dummy was dipped in whisky, as it was the only way to keep me quiet.
    I am trying to imagine getting that one past social services nowadays...

9. cosmos - family legend has it that my dummy was dipped in whisky, as it was the only way to keep me quiet
    About ten years after the event, my mother confessed that she once put a slug of whisky in my baby's bottle to make him sleep. And he did too!

10. Yup - I reckon the family legend is true. I remember when my kids wouldn't sleep being tempted, but I didn't do it.
    I reckon I spent the first three years of my life probably doped on whisky!

11. I wonder if that is why I dislike the stuff............[​IMG]
    Probably explains why I am so much smaller than my siblings too!