1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

linux help...

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by stupot101, Mar 13, 2011.

1. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Thank you for the advice

I have tried the above

I get as far as choosing an operating system - Windows XP or Ubuntu.

Then when I choose Ubuntu (with the Cd in he drive) The Cd spins.. then a blank screen

i have also tested the CD by autoplaying it and running WUBI

Any ideas ?

2. Hiya,

Just to clarify, how long after switching on have you left it before giving up. Ubuntu, when booted from CD, runs in Live mode which can slow it down as you're running a CD. If the screen blanks out and it just hangs there, it's possible that your CD is faulty or the laptop is one of the small number that has a non-standard implementation of power and/or interrupt control, e.g. ACPI or APIC. Laptops can sometimes have incomplete chipsets with limited features which cause odd things to happen.

Before you go hacking to get it work, I'd try another distro to see if it makes any difference. Two that come with extra goodies like Codecs, etc. are PCLinuxOS - http://www.pclinuxos.com/ and Linux Mint - http://www.linuxmint.com/ which is basically Ubuntu with lots of extras. Steer clear of 64 bit versions unless you want to use more than 3.5GB of RAM, it's more hassle than it's worth in terms of performance gain.
    ,br>

Good luck.

3. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

[​IMG] Thanks so much for your help.

I am currently writing this using the Live CD version of PCLinux. It is pretty fast.!!!!

It turns out that after I checked the downloads from Opera, the UBUNTU and WUBI files had errors !!

I did look at Linux Mint --- but wasn't sure which one to download. So I then looked at the PCLinux website. It seemed staright forward. I downloaded the ISO, and then downloaded another program to run it as a 'virtual' operating system within Windows (I think it was called mobi --- or something like this) This did work - only very slowly, I then wrote the ISO to CD and booted it from the CD drive and hey... here it is (at least I know that the CD can be a bootable drive)

Thank you so much for your help.. I'll be back soon for some more questions. I wil try UBUNTU STUDIO....I will probably have to boot that from a Pendrive
    Thanks again.

4. Excellent! I run CentOS on a VPS and it's great. As i've mentioned before we do an overt teaching unit on Open Source in Year 8 which the kids love.