1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Linkword - load of tosh or useful?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by minka1, Dec 6, 2011.

1. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

Not biting. You've had enough of my time already. This is nonsense.

2. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

Ditto

3. Neil_Kendall_Languages

Neil_Kendall_Languages New commenter

Oh dear, it seems that vuvuzela has finally admitted defeat! On the subject of UK sportsmen and people from the UK media not bothering to learn other languages, a worthwhile addition to this thread is that Gary Lineker actually speaks Spanish and Japanese (in addition to his English), and a few years ago he spoke to TES on the subject of languages in the UK, saying that 'schools don't take foreign languages seriously enough':

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...-dont-take-foreign-languages-seriously-enough

Here is a video of him speaking Spanish and discussing the importance of learning other languages:

If only more British sportsmen thought like Lineker!

4. londomolari

londomolari New commenter

I hope you're not taking my name in vain! Really though! A cynical joke made in anger well over a decade ago - is it really still a thing? What have I done! :) Maybe I should revive it - TWALT 2.0. Think of all the nonsense you could pass off as method with all the technology around these days. I wrote a highly tongue-in-cheek manual for it years ago but never released it because I fear people would have taken it too seriously and I'm just not that mean (anymore). Happy TWALTing and 'Babylon 5' is still the best thing ever! Just so you know!

catmother likes this.