1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Linkword - load of tosh or useful?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by minka1, Dec 6, 2011.

1. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

OK I'll play your game vuvuzela. Let's see where you're going with this. I'm unemployed through caring for a disabled brother and two elderly parents.
    Can I ask you which subjects you teach and to what level?

2. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

So it's not MFL per se? How long ago was this? I'm not getting much in the searches. Has it been archived?

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It was MFL actually, as English was the modern foreign language for the students overseas.
    TWALTing is not an officially recognised term. It was simply the moniker given to the ridiculous games that MFL teachers are expected to supervise in place of proper teaching. Linkword would fit very well into the WALTing category. The pupils would spend ages memorising images and doing mental contortions to relate them to new MFL vocabulary.

4. minka1

So you've tried Linkword in the classroom have you jubilee? When was this? Which medium did you use ? How long did you use it for? Any written evidence to corroborate what you are saying?

5. vuvuzela

You can ask, yes.
    You can't play once you've gone bust, you know.

All joking aside though, looking after your family, as you describe it above, is very commendable and definitely harder than anything teachers have to do. I wouldn't call it unemployed either.

MFL - mainly French. Used to do secondary but only teach privately these days and mainly adults, when I do. I prefer doing stuff online.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'm retired.

7. minka1

Thanks for the sentiments regarding my family . Pity you don't teach Spanish . I intend to study it for a month and thought you might test me to see what level I am at. Never mind I'll try some online test.

8. minka1

Hope you are enjoying your retirement.

9. vuvuzela

That's funny! It even looks like some official acronym for the next best fad. I think I might have done a fair amount of this without realising it.

10. vuvuzela

I've had a bit of it myself and it's no fun! As to testing, you are probably better doing a proficiency test online anyway, or if you have a level in mind a diagnostic test.

11. vuvuzela

Are you going to do it using Linkword? If so, why not record yourself before you start and then when you've finished, if you want to try and make a case for it. If not, how are you planning to go about it, just as a matter of interest?

12. minka1

What else? Intend to do an hour a day for a month and see where it takes me. Have done Level one of 4 level course before but then got other distractions. Will take CEFR online test this time next month and see what level I can achieve on it. Plus watch a few Spanish films and have Despacito on a constant loop on YouTube . lol.

13. vuvuzela

Shouldn't you just stick to Linkword if you want to test it yourself?

14. vuvuzela

Personally I think you'll have a load of extra burden there that you don't really need with a cognate language. For example, why associate (I'm just thinking off the top of my head here) caballo with - let's see - a gangsta-rapping horse wearing a kaballah bracelet and going 'Yo!' in that inimitable rapper way, and then associating with a boxer because it's masculine...when you could just look to your English word knowledge and trace it back through: cavalry - Latin - caballus - Spanish caballo. Job done.

15. minka1

Actually that's one that I remember quite easily - it's I'll cable you about that horse. Nice try though . But don't give up the day job.☺

16. vuvuzela

Is that seriously what they use? 'Cable' with /eɪ/ to remember caballo? I can just hear pupils, especially low-level ones (i.e. the very ones who would, I am guessing, supposed to benefiting the most from this kind of 'method') learning the wrong vowel sound and constantly trying to pronounce it that way. That means they have to unlearn a bad habit they never needed to acquire in the first place. And that's just one word. You'd have to be savvy and linguistically aware enough to make this method work, and those who are savvy and linguistically aware would be far better off with a rigorous language course without all the unnecessary decoration.

17. minka1

And how do you get savvy and linguistically aware may I ask? Can you summarise in one paragraph?

18. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Why are you on here in the middle of the night?

19. minka1

Bless you for showing concern about somebody's sleeping pattern.

20. Neil_Kendall_Languages

Neil_Kendall_Languages New commenter

Finally, my replies have been approved by the moderators...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017