1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Linking 'WWII' to 'Legends' in Year 5???

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrsblackford, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I'm an NQT in need of some ideas..
    Am trying to find a way to link WWII to Legends, but need some kind of starting point!? I'm in Year 5, and we've looked at Fables and Myths (Ancient Greeks was our learning theme so worked quite well!) already, now moving onto Legends. The other Year 5 teacher suggested linking this to our next learning theme (WWII), but that's as far as that's gone so far ..
    ANY suggestions would be very much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. Looking at "carrots help you see in the dark" is quite interesting, originally propaganda but now and urban legend.

4. Why do you have to manufacture a link? Why can't you just change topic?

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Why?

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I must admit that I also thought it might be a tortuous link, though it's true that many legends have risen out the war years. You'll need to be very precise about your definition of legend.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

This myth was put about by the government to explain why RAF gunners could apparantly see in the dark after the introduction of RADAR which was top secret.

8. There is a very famous legend which involves Drake's Drum. See link below:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake's_Drum
    When the drum was taken from Plymouth to a place of safety, the city was subject to the heaviest bombing raids (in terms of tonnage/area) in England. Could it be just a coincidence that the bombing ceased when it was returned to its rightful place? A thought provoking question that might stimulate discussion.
    I have read accounts by Plymothians who claimed to have heard the ghostly drum roll on Plymouth Hoe at the height of hostilities.

9. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

While I'm very much in favour of thematic teaching, it really shouldn't be done like this. The curriculum should properly planned to show the connections between Literacy & History if that's what is expected of you. You will end up diluting the quality of your Literacy teaching if you are not using the very best resources you can find to model what myths and legends are.
    If I had to do this, I would perhaps try to move into the idea of misdirection in warfare. The wooden horse of Troy is a true legend in which it is possible to identify all the key features. You could, perhaps make historical links with Jasper Maskelyne, who created illusionary targets (inflatable tanks and, if I remember correctly, a fake copy of Alexandria) to misdirect German bombers.

10. Try the my story books there is lots about ww2 they are historical fiction books that cover main aspects of war. Many are written as diary entry or as if being spoken /recounted. Depending on your definition of legend these should cover it well. Not tedious link at all and at the back of the books they give time line and actual facts. So although the story is unverified it shows how it could be true - which is what i take a legend to be.

11. Thankyou for all your responses, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply!
    It's not that I am adverse at all to changing topic/theme where things don't link well, but as the other teacher had suggested it, and I'd drawn a bit of a blank, I thought I'd 'throw it out there' for others before dismissing it completely - I agree that links are FAB where they are more natural, and also hope not to 'dilute' any content.
    However, it appears there are a few things to look into... [​IMG]
    Thanks again!