1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Linking Sounds and Letters question...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by geniegirl, Mar 14, 2012.

1. So, we were in our team meeting today and our Foundation Stage Coordinator announced that children cannot achieve LSL points 7 and 8 unless they have scale point 4.
    So they cannot read simple CVC words (LSL7) unless they know the sounds AND names of most letters of the alphabet.
    I had never heard this before. My children know all 26 sounds, but not most of the names (we are only just starting this). However, even my low ability can read simple CVC words and so I was going to give them the LSL7 point.
    Is this true? Has anyone else heard this?

2. So, we were in our team meeting today and our Foundation Stage Coordinator announced that children cannot achieve LSL points 7 and 8 unless they have scale point 4.
    So they cannot read simple CVC words (LSL7) unless they know the sounds AND names of most letters of the alphabet.
    I had never heard this before. My children know all 26 sounds, but not most of the names (we are only just starting this). However, even my low ability can read simple CVC words and so I was going to give them the LSL7 point.
    Is this true? Has anyone else heard this?

3. No it's not true. Points 4-8 are not hierarchical and you will know from experience that children can read CVC words without knowing the letter names. Does your co-ordinator teach in Recpetion because she really should know this?

4. As far as I'm aware 'rules' like this came from the 'Quality Assurance in the EYFS' document produced in 2008. It does not mention this one. Inasmuch as the current EYFS only runs until the end of this academic year surely they're not adding more regulations now!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No it isn't true. It was changed in 2009

6. I have heard/read about that before too. Although, I do still give them the points even if they don't get point 4. And they only ever miss out on point 4 because of letter names.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110223175304/http:/www.qcda.gov.uk/assessment/6361.aspxClarifications
    We would also like to make some clarifications regarding the interpretation of individual scale points. These are not publishing errata but areas of practice where we would like to refine the guidance offered in the handbook. Again we would be grateful if you could ensure that these are amended in your copy.
    Page 48: Scale point Linking sounds and letters (LSL) Scale point 7 Left-hand text box
    Clarification: From the scale point descriptor <u>delete the second paragraph</u> "Scale point 7 cannot be achieved without LSL scale points 4, 5 and 6."
    Page 48: Scale point Linking sounds and letters (LSL) Scale point 8 Left-hand text box
    Clarification: From the scale point descriptor delete the words "sometimes with adult support". The amended sentence should read "The child attempts to read more complex words."

8. Excellent!
    Thank you SO much for all your quick replies!
    I had this sudden horror that over half my children
    wouldn't get more than 3 points!

9. A quick tip if you use eprofile and you have a problem with the 1-3 point before 4-8 block on the system. Just put in a future date for acheivement of the 1-3 point, allowing you to continue to fill out any they have achieved in 4-8. I do this qiute often for those points which don't make chronological sense